1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

14 year old wins scholastic at the grand

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by glcmedic118, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glcmedic118

glcmedic118 TS Member

Now left-handed, Jackson wins Scholastic program

BY LES WINKELER, THE SOUTHERN

SPARTA - Wil Jackson, a Union County, Ky., resident, broke 100 straight targets Monday, shooting left-handed in the Scholastic Clay Target Program at the World Shooting and Recreational Complex.

Although an outstanding feat, it's hardly unprecedented. Perfect scores aren't extremely rare and at any given time there are dozens of southpaws competing at the Amateur Trapshooting Association's Grand American.

Jackson's circumstances make the feat quite remarkable.

The 14-year-old was right handed until about 16 months ago. Jackson was diagnosed as having an inoperable brain tumor at that time. The tumor grew so large it obstructed his right eye.

The partial blindness was just the tip of the physical iceberg for Jackson.

The regular chemotherapy made him ill and sapped him of his strength. The IV port installed on his chest made it impossible for him to shoot.

"In April 2006, Wil requested the doctors in Louisville to install the IV port on the right side of his chest so he could try to shoot left-handed," said Rick L. Jackson, his father.

It all paid off Monday when the younger Jackson broke 100 straight targets in competition - the first time he had ever accomplished that feat with either hand.

The soft-spoken youngster was obviously pleased with his success, but seemed to downplay it at the same time.

"Yeah, I think I'm going to stick with the left-handed from now on," he said, a smile creeping across his face. "I'm originally left-eye dominant, so why not stick with it."

Although he enjoyed participating in his first Grand American last year, he readily admitted he's feeling much better this time around.

"I came out here with all my friends, that helps a lot," Wil said. "I came out here, shot some trap and had a great time. The Grand is the greatest place in the world to shoot. So, I had a good time.

"This year, I'm feeling a whole lot better. I came out here yesterday and broke me 100 straight and the team is doing pretty good. It's beautiful."

After leaving the Grand last year, Jackson's condition improved markedly.

The tumor shrank considerably, restoring the sight in his right eye.

However, by this time, he had become quite adept with his left hand.

He toyed with the idea of reverting to the right hand.

"I tried, but I wasn't too great," Jackson said. "I had to give it a try you know."

Now, 16 months after the fact, the youngster realizes the illness caused him to learn much more than adapting to his left hand.

"I pretty much learned that if you have friends and prayers for you, you can do anything," he said.

Through the ordeal, Rick Jackson said he has watched his son mature prematurely.

"I think he's learned, in general, to take life one day at a time, not to speed through anything," his father said. "I've noticed his school work has improved, even through everything he's been through. He's more focused. It's made a big change in all of our lives."

By continuing to shoot through the illness, Wil, and the rest of his family, was able to forget about his physical maladies for a couple hours each week. Shooting is a family avocation, Wil shoots with his older brother Davis.

"He has matured tremendously," Rick Jackson said. "I think all of us have through this whole process. I think that's a good thing. It all stems back to what is important in life. I've realized that shooting is one of his avenues, and why not."

The faith and dedication of the family has paid off.

"One target at a time, and one day at a time," Rick Jackson said. "That's the way our whole family is right now. We keep the kids involved in many things. We don't look too far down the road. We just try to enjoy our kids now."

les.winkeler@thesouthern.com / 351-5088@thesouthern.com / 351-5088

What a story...what a kid! I'm glad to see positive things like this coming out of the Grand.
    Grant

2. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

A BIG Amen to that!!

3. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Congratulations !!!!

hubcap

4. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

AWSOME!!!!!!

5. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Grant, thank you for posting. It was heartwarming.

6. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Congratulations on shooting so well. I pray things continue to go well.

Charlie

7. shotgunfun

shotgunfun TS Member

Congratulations and GREAT shooting.

the entire HULL family

Howard, Lorna, Bryan and Emily

Wellsville,KS

8. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Wil, Davis and Rick are three of the nicest guys you will ever meet. I have had the pleasure to get to know all of them at shoots in Evansville and Carmi -- I cannot day enough about the boys (Wil and Davis) and the dad (Rick). Wil and Davis are mature beyone their years -- everything is yes sir no sir, even to this 31 year old. Rick is a fine addition to the trapshooting fraternity. Always helping his kids, never yelling at them, always supportive and always looking for new ways to make them better, both on and off the trapfield.

My hat goes off to you three -- it has been good to get to know you and look forward to Wil and Davis's devlish grins around E'ville!

John

9. juststartin'

juststartin' Member

Wil, YOU DA MAN!!!! My Wife had tears in her eyes when she read the story in the paper...

And John, I would never "Yessir" and "No sir" you...hahahaha...Strabavy

10. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Great story!!! This is the great thing about working with youth in your local trapshooting program. They bring eternal optimism!!! Omaha

11. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Stravaby....

I know! That's how classy these guys are -- they can't help to put a smile on your face when they decend on the club to shoot...

You going to the Grand?

John

12. clayaddict

clayaddict TS Member

Congratulations Wil. This report made my day. J.Woolsey

13. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hummmm ! Kentucky shooter breaks 100 straight at the Grand. This kid just has to be a sandbagger !

All joking aside--Inspiring act of courage from a young man. YOU DA MAN!!!!!!!

14. Inkspot Kelly's Great-Nephew

Inkspot Kelly's Great-Nephew TS Member

Good shooting, young man!! You are the future of the sport!! You have proven that you can beat the odds and prevail through adversity that would side line most adults. Good luck in the rest of the shoot!!!

Dave Shaeffer, Sr.

15. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

My money says he will succeed in all of his life ventures with an attitude like that, and the support he has.

Best of Luck!

Danny

16. ec90t

ec90t Guest

This is the kind of story that I want to see on the evening news.

Great shootin' young man!

ec90t

17. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Why can't we see more of this on the evening news for a change, instead of how many were killed here or there. Here in SE MI all I see on the news is how many people is leaving the state and how many brothers was killed last night in a gun fight over a girlfriend or drugs. I would love to see segments like this and other that have overcome whatever problems they have to be the "Top of the news" instead of "Breaking News...... Looloo leaves 4 kids in the car While getting her hair done and the kid die from the heat.

Way to go Wil Jackson!!!! You Rock.

Jerbear

18. peavine

peavine TS Member

Congrats on that 100 straight. May many more follow. From one former righty now turned southpaw to another, Keep on keepin' on. Jonathan Taylor

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

What a great young man he has to be and a great attitude to boot! WTG young man! Hap

20. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

Great shooting from a fellow 4H shooter, keep breaking them. Dillon
    Paintsville, Ky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.