1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

14.5 gr 700x in 7/8 oz load?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ray Zeilinger, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ray Zeilinger

Ray Zeilinger Member

I'm thinking about trying some 7/8 oz loads. But I like around 1140 fps loads.
    Has anyone tried 700x with these loads? It seems to me the pressure is quite low..

Ray

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

My original 7/8 oz load was with 512 #9s, Winnie primers, CB gray wads, AA hulls (older style), and 16.5 grains of 700X. They were soft, consistent, chronoed well, and broke many a skeet target before I found they worked well at 16 yard trap too. The latest version is 17 gr. of clays, CB gray wad, STS hulls, and Winnies or Cheddites. They have broken 100s from up close. HOWEVER, RE your question, I'll opine that you can reduce felt recoil by reducing the shot charge or reducing the velocity. But reducing both can bite you in the posterior. I've come to believe the weenie shot charge needs enough powder to create a consistent burn and thus a consistent velocity and it's that reason I stick to around 1200/1220 fps as a minimum in the weenie load; my chronograph suggests I'm right on this point...Bob Dodd

3. RAU

RAU Member

Ray,

I worked long and hard with 700X and 7/8 oz. loads. The 14.5gr load is to lite I really wanted it to work also but no matter what wad/powder/primer/case combination I tried I could not get consistent shells. The lowest I could get with the 700X and 7/8 oz was 15.2gr powder w209 primer STS hull and Downrange XXL Pink wads. This load works well if temps stay above about 40 degrees F.
    I think I will be trying the new WAA Lite powder next summer to see if I can work a load down to that 1150 fps range with 7/8 oz...........Thanks Rick

4. Ray Zeilinger

Ray Zeilinger Member

Bob,

I have been shooting 16.2 gr 700x, 1 1/8 oz of #8, winchester primer, and winchester wad. I shoot these shells on both 16's and 27 yd hdcp. I change the shot bushing and drop 1 oz for shooting doubles. Recoil is not an issue. I have shot these loads so much, when I've tried faster loads on Hdcp, I've shot some really bad scores.

So to keep the costs down, I thought about 7/8 oz, same speed as I'm shooting now. But 14.5 grains of 700x seems quite low on the pressure and possibly inconsistent burns.

Thnaks for your input..

Ray

5. 100straight

100straight Member

I used to load that load when my son was 10 years old (Winchester hulls, primers, and gray wads as I recall). He shot a model 59 Winchester. The gun would not reliably eject the empties, but I don't recall any noticable inconsistency between shots. I never did any chrony work with that load. I know that to get the gun to reliably cycle doubles on the skeet field I had to go up to about 15.5-16 grains of powder. Otherwise, the load worked fine, and recoil was very light. Also, a friend tried the 14.5 load in an O/U with inertia cocking hammers, and the load would not set the gun for the second shot.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

6. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Try 16.3 of Clays in a Rem/Win taper hull using the Win gray wad & Rem or Win primers as per hull use. I have repeatedly chrono'ed these at about 1160 & patterned them extensively out of many different guns. It is about as good as it gets. The softest 7/8 load I have ever shot is Federal paper,Fed 209 primer,Fed 206 primer & 17.5 of Bullseye. This is straight from their manual & the pressure is 4400 psi. Talked to chief ballistics guy at the old Hercules powder about Bullseye in a shotgun hull & he said the powder acts much slower in its burn rate.

7. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

My mistake. No Fed 206 primer. Should read Fed SO wad. Sorry 'bout that.

8. 682LINY

682LINY Member

I have used the 7/8 oz #9 shot ,,,14.5 gr of 700x,,,win aa and cb1100 wads for first shot in doubles,,,,had to bump it up ,,,would not set trigger for second shot all the time,,,,but used some leftovers yesterday from 22 yd,,,broke targets well,,went up one bushing size on MEC ,,,now sets trigger and breaks the birds

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

BDodd: Interesting Bob, I've come to the same conclusion. 16.8 gr. of clays in 7/8's. 700x works best for me at 15.5 grs. But, that Clays load is good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

17 gr 700x