1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

13 year Cicadas

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by grntitan, Jun 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Taken last night. Picture is not great as it was on high zoom on an outdated digital. Have you guys had alot yet?

[​IMG]

2. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Where are you?

3. grntitan

Southern IL.

4. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Was in Nashville, TN over Memorial Day for an U.S. Radar Sites in Iceland reunion. The cicadas were all over the place. They would fly into you, land on you, create a putting hazard on the mini-golf course, keep you awake at night with their "love songs" and in general made a lasting impression on everyone. I told my wife I would like to find a jewelry broach or pin that was a cicada but I had no success. We even brought a few "hitchhikers" home inside the car (unplanned) not to mention "cleaning thew highway" with the radiator.

They were just about as numerous as the picture above.

5. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

If you hook them veeerrry carefully in the underside with veeery thin blue metal semi long hook, for smallish,1-4 lb salt water,stripers,blufish. If there was a way to keep them alive Lee

6. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I'm in middle Tn, cut the yard yesterday, no shirt of cousre, they were landing on my back and falling down my crack, i bet I dug a dozen out of my under wear!!

7. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

TMI, blkcloud. . . TMI!!!!

8. Toddy

Toddy Member

I was under the impression that they were SEVEN YEAR CICADAS,but they were green....

Uninformed from Ontario....

Reg. Todd, ES, BC

9. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Are they out in the DC area?

10. Terry_Maiden

Terry_Maiden TS Member

There are 5 year Cicadas, 7 year and 13 year. Once in a great while all the different cycles hit in the same year and you get buried in these bugs. We got plenty of them in Missouri too!

11. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Come on boys .......grab your fishin' poles,and lets go bluegill fishin'........
    Great bait!!!!

D.P.Reynolds

12. grntitan

oskerspap--I want to bluegill fish where you go. These Cicadas are quite large at least 2" long and close to 3/4" wide. I'm doubting even a good size gill can swallow one. Of course if you have a spot where thats not an issue, i'll grab my ultralites and gear and be over. Ain't nothing better than ultralite fishing in my book.

13. oskerspap12

Howdy grntitan,
    We do catch some big BGs on the Potomac river,but in general BGs just knock the tar out of 'em.They make great free bait when they are around.......and when they are around they are everywhere........Ultra lites are the only way to go......when ya going to be here? You better bring some old tennis shoes cause we're going wading.........drop me a line anytime,and we'll do it.

Smoke 'em all

D.P.Reynolds

14. grntitan

Mr. Reynolds--Thanks for the invite. Should i ever get out to them parts i'll be sure to look ya up. Its just a bit too much of a drive from So. IL to do some gill fish'n.

I never have been much of a bass fisherman other than what hits my light jigs. I'm a diehard crappie and bluegill guy. I even use the telescoping jig'n poles in some of the strip cuts where nothing else is possible. I just love the battle with 2-4lb test. Ain't no horsing them out with light line. The fight is 3/4 of the fun. I use 5'6" ultralights and even have a homemade 6' that i call super ultralight. My dad made it back when you couldn't run out to Bass Pro in every city.

I prefer the superlight jigs like 1/64th and 1/80th ounce jigs. I also like to use crickets depending on where i'm going. I use the real tiny long shaft hooks, a tiny splitshot about 6-8" up and go under the collar on their back. I use a small slip bobber and its a hell of a gill rig. Those crickets will swim forever like that if you just hook that collar and not their guts.

Matt

15. oskerspap12

Mr. Grntitan(Lets not be so formal......I'm Dave),
    Are y'all going to the Grand .....I sure hope so(you are in So. Ill).
    Maybe we can do a little fishin after the shootin over????
    Seems like there are alot of ponds out that way.....Osker,and I will bring our fishin gear,and we'll see what we can get into.I hope to meet y'all there.Drop me a line(not trying to be funny),and we'll make it happen.Until then y'all take care,and try to leave a few BGs for us.........YUKYUK

D.P.Reynolds

16. grntitan

Dave,

I'm not only in So. IL but I live in Sparta so yes I'll be at the Grand. Won't shoot the whole program but I hope to make a big pile of empties anyway. I'll be honest, when the weather gets hot I put the fishn gear away. I do my best early to mid spring and then mid to late fall around here. Hot weather drives 'em deep in the brush in most my hot spots. That's not to say you can't catch some nice ones in August or any other month for that matter. Shoot me. PM when the Grand gets closer.

Matt

17. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

They is all over North Alabama.
    Mike Durhan

18. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, there was an article on NBC news last night about people putting these things in their ice cream. Copy and paste the link I've posted ...NASTY!

http://www.nbcactionnews.com/dpp/lifestyle/food/Cicada-flavored-ice-cream-bugs-Missouri-public-health-officials

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.