1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

12xs skeet for trap shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin62, Nov 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

I have a question that hopfully someone could answer. I shoot very little trap, once a week in the summer on a summer league. my mane game is skeet, but i do enjoy trap I just don't have the skill it requires.

my question is...i would like to settle down to one 12 gauge gun, it might help me to shoot better. I was woundering if I bought a 12 xs skeet could I use it for trap also. Is there any gun that browning makes that would be exceptable for both.

I own a xs skeet in 20 and it seems to fit me well, so I thought one in 12 would be good. Right now I shoot a ruger 12 for skeet and it works well for me, and I have a winchester energy select for trap. Like I said I would like to settle and shoot just one gun for both.

any help would be great

2. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I have seen Citori XT used successfully in Skeet, but have not seen an XS used in Trap. The XT shoots somewhat high at Trap engagement ranges - 34 yards or so for the usual Trap rising targets, but will not be quite as high at typical Sheet engagement ranges - 21 yards. One setting may work for both. On the other hand, you might have to make comb adjustments to get an XS to shoot rising Trap birds. Still, if the comb adjustment was an aftermarket rather than a Browning, it could be a simple matter of just adding/subtracting a set number of washers to the comb post as you shift from one game to another.

3. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

If you can shoot a low point of impact gun at trap reasonably well, why not?

John E.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you want to shoot both games with the same gun, it will be helpful to have one with screw in choke tubes and an adjustable comb. HMB

5. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Other than K80 Trap Special I now used exclusively. The XS Skeet I had was the best trap gun I had owned. Liked it a lot better than the XT Trap I had. In fact I traded my XT Trap for it. It actually shot higher the the XT trap. Maybe it just fit me better. Don't think you'll regret buying a XS Skeet.

6. OK_Shooter

OK_Shooter TS Member

I shoot both trap and skeet as well, and like you skeet is my main game. That being said, I have shot trap with my xs skeet, my xt trap, and my 870 trap. My scores are the same with all three guns on the trap range, so in my opinion if you are looking to shoot with just one gun, then go with the xs skeet for both games.

7. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

I also think your XS Skeet will do a fine job at Trap. Give it a try and have some fun.............Uncle Sam, Pa.

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Try the Ruger and let us know how you do with that after a couple of months. You might be surprised. Just change the chokes. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

9. STOS

STOS Member

I use a ultra xs skeet 28" for skeet.One day thought i would try it out on a round of trap.Switched choke tube in bottom barrel to full.16yd hit 25/25.Good gun for both.

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Skeet guns are often set up to shoot as high (or higher) than trap guns. When I was shooting skeet in the 70's, all the top shooters were shooting trap stocks or raising the comb or stock to get the gun to shoot high.

Half the targets in skeet are from the low house so those are rising targets.
    If you had to cover those target to hit them, you would lose sight of the target and it could drop under your shot pattern. It's important to keep all skeet targets visible over your barrel so you can see if one drops unexpectedly.

A Browning XS Skeet has a tapered rib to shoot as high as the XT. It should do fine for trap.

11. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

My xs skeet shoots about 70-30 perfect for most trap shooters.

12. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

thanks for all the help...it answered my question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.