1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

12SO Clone

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 4th. down, Jul 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

12SO CB Clone in a Rem. Hull, 7/8 oz. between 1330-1350fps. for Bunker with Fio. primer. What powder will get you there and keep the pressure 10,000 psi. or less?

2. rick979

rick979 Active Member

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Promo or Red Dot. Perazzi Big Bore might have some real pressure/velocity data for you. I'd go around 19.0 - 19.5 grains. Should get you in the ball park.

4. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

18.5gn of 700x is +1300 and less than 10,000psi.

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

If you go to a different primer, Hodgdon has data for International Clays with that wad that is pretty low pressure.

6. vpsr6

vpsr6 Member

not to highjack the thread but I am new to re loading and trying to get the whole proper wad to hull thing. I though tthat the 12so was for straight wall hulls like federal, I though the remingtons were tapered. Please advise.

thanks

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

vpsr6,

Generally, yes. Use straight-wall wads in straight-walled hulls, and tapered wads in tapered hulls.

Most would recommend not using a tapered wad in a straight-walled hull, but some folks do this, and it works out OK.

Using a straight-wall wad in a tapered hull is perfectly acceptable. I've used a Federal 12S0 in Remington hulls with pretty good success in the past. With Winchester primers, 16.8 grains of Clays and 7/8 ounces of shot, this is a very soft-recoiling load.

8. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Yes, 700X should make it happen - 12SO Wad, Rem. Hull, 18.5 grs. @9300 psi. @ 1325fps.

Thanks for thoughts, would not have thought of IMR700X. Cannot wait to try and center the clay with this load and full choke.

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

vpsr6

If you notice, the Federal 12S0 is usually a one ounce wad in a straight walled hull. It is basically a 7/8 ounce wad in a tapered hull, since it takes up more room in the smaller capacity hulls. I usually reserve straight walled wads for appropriate hulls and use Wads intended for Tapered hulls in tapered hulls. There are a few exceptions to this rule, like the Federal 12S0 for 7/8 ounce bunker loads. It's a tough wad and really holds up under the extra velocities required. I get some really great patterns with this wad at higher velocities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.