1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

12ga STS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Robe763, Aug 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robe763

Robe763 TS Member

what is the best wad to use for reloads with the 12ga STS hulls?

Thanks
    Robert

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

You failed to mention what type of loads you want to shoot! What powder? How much shot? It really makes a difference!

AndyH ;-/

3. Robe763

Robe763 TS Member

sorry about that shot will probably be 1.25 oz and 1.125 oz and powder longshot and herco

4. KRK32

KRK32 Member

I dont know what you plan to load if its a 11/8 recipe the claybuster fig 8 wad is what i prefer it is lighter in weight than the rem fig 8 and has thicker plastic on the petals to me it seems to make a difference and it can be adapted to almost any type of common powders. Kirk

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

For me the Downrange DRRT12 1oz and DRRF8 1 1/8oz have been outstanding in the Remington hulls. With the right powder combination I have gotten good crimps from 7/8oz @ 1200fps to 1 1/8oz @ 1250fps. Pretty much all I use now.

--- Chip King ---

6. Robe763

Robe763 TS Member

Thanks, I have used the claybusters and the winchester wads in the Win AA's. I have never loaded any of the STS's. I recently purchased some and was looking for suggestions.

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

With no special reason to do so, I've used the Winchester wads or their clones for all my reloads in the Remington hulls. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to you. I don't mean to imply that I wouldn't enjoy the Rem. Fig 8s and TGT wads or their clones.....Bob Dodd

8. Robe763

Robe763 TS Member

I had heard of others doing that as well. There seems to be so many different wads out there to choose from it made me wonder if one was that much different than the others. I have not reoaded as many shotshells as most of you guys on this site so it is somewhat new to me.

9. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I would go with DownRange Versalite wads with Longshot as you are probably thinking shoot 'em at long distances. That's what these type of powders do well. I've found the Versalite wads to pattern more consistently with 1 1/8oz loads @1275 fps than any other, the exception being Federal 12S3 type wads in straight-wall hulls.

Have Fun, but Be Careful!

AndyH ;-)

10. Robe763

Robe763 TS Member

Thanks I will have to give them a try. My STS's are supposed to be in tomorrow. Next on my list is a progressive loader. I have been loading on a sizmaster and would like to upgrade to something better. Have been looking at the RCBS Grands

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.