1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

12ga gun club hull reloadability?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hoggy, Nov 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I actually like them better. The STS and Nitro's will crack/split on the sides (sometimes without reloading them a couple of times) but I've never noticed GC's doing that.

2. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

They load great and hold a very nice tight crimp.

3. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I like to load them. Make sure you resize the steel on them and they work great!

Forrest

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Both the 12 and 20 gauge reload well with good case life. All this for free.

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

NOW YOUV'E DONE IT!

I can barely get these hulls any more. I used to get all of them, just for the asking. Now folks know how well they load. LOL

6. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

During WWII, there was a phrase "Loose Lips Sink Ships", now it is "Loose Lips Sunk Free Great Hulls"

Lou

7. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hey!!
    Something I have noticed- the base can become loose on Gun Clubs. I've never had one pull off while crimping, but just something to watch. They crimp great, but I think Rem. (as others) are making hulls not meant for loading. They are good for practice. -Patrick Fitzjarrald

8. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

suggs1:

Gun Clubs are ballistically identical to STS/Nitro hulls. Any combination of components appropriate for one is appropriate for all. They load and crimp well... at least once.

The only down side to Gun Clubs are their steel heads. Steel head hulls will go thru a collet resizer but they're hard on the collet, require more effort, and when fired they still occasionally stick in a chamber. For those reasons, I choose to resize/deprime steel head hulls as a separate step using an old Mec Case Conditioner.

My experience with multiple reloads is different than those of P3AT. Unlike brass, the primer holes of steel head hulls always loosen. After a few reloadings, primers tend to fall out. I find that a real aggravation so I load them once and let them fly.

YMMV,

sissy

9. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

You'll get tired of looking at them long before you wear them out...

10. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

They are way more durable than the STS hull.

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Commonly used and disposed hull.

I used to reload them 6-10 times , with good success.

Since they're so easily available once-fired, now I reload them once or twice and discard them.

Great hull.

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Great hulls is correct. The only minus is the steel rim which has quite a bit of 'spring' in it and you need a pretty good resizing station in your press to deal with that. The number of reloads depends on what components you run but it is as many as any other quality hull and more than most. Since they are usually available for free you don't worry about loosing them and that makes them a great choice for use in autos shooting doubles or when ever you don't feel like messing around with empty hulls.

13. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

sissy is right; the Gun Clubs are a bargain, but the steel head is a concern. I loaded a bunch, but got tired of the effort to resize and some sticking in the chamber of a Beretta 391. Best Regards, Ed

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I do not seem to have the trouble with steel hulls others are experiencing. I keep the MEC9000 properly serviced and lubed. Adjusting the collet so it sizes the hulls enough to chamber freely in your tightest chambered gun, but no more, is the key to problem free loading.

A few firearms with non standard chambers or less than robust ejectors may have problems with these hulls.

Actually, I seldom load "good" hulls. I have GM and STS hulls by the barrel, but prefer to load Fed and Remmy promo, along with the "eurotrash" hulls. I get the performance I want from these, and often give STS hulls to new reloaders at the club.

I consider a target box of Fed, Remmy promo, or Rio once-fired hulls a gift!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.