1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1250 Load Recipe

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Nutnbutsmoke, Sep 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nutnbutsmoke

Nutnbutsmoke Member

Hello All, I'm looking for reccomendations on powder to give me a 1 1/8 load close to the AA handicap 1250 load. From looking at some of the manuals I can find for common powders most seem to stop at around 1200 to 1235? Currently I have Win209 primers and Clay Buster WAA12 wads. If any of you have some suggestions on which powder is best and you will share it with someone new to loading please send me an email or post it here. Thanks

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Right out of the Hodgdon Manual

Remington Hull

Remington 209P Primer

18.5 Grains of Hodgdon Titegroup

Remington TGT-12S wad (book says figure 8, but Hodgdon says the TGT-12 is an acceptable substitute, as is the Downrange TGT-12 clone)

1-1/8 ounces of shot.

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

What Perazzi Big Bore said. Unique is not even close to being red-lined at 1250 fps. Patterns well, BOILS targets from the 27 with the right choke. It is the only powder I use for my Caps load.

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Ooops, missed the part about the stuff you already had.

Try this:

Winchester AA Hull

Winchester 209 Primer

18.4 Grains of Hodgdon Titegroup

WAA 12 Wad

1-1/8 ounces of shot.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

20.5 grains of Green Dot gives me 1256 fps over my chronograph with your listed components. Win AA superhandicaps run about 1260. Close enough for me! Same load in STS hulls using the Winchester Primer and the Figure 8 Wad runs 1248 fps.

6. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I have been using 19 grains of Solo 1000

7. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

I agree on the Unique it is a great powder and it patterns really good. I have had good luck with green dot too.

Terry.

8. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

What does "patterns really good" mean?

9. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

+1 on Green Dot.

10. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Anyone using Promo for HDCP load? Jake

11. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

We were trying to see how good our patterns were from our 27 yard reloads. I shot a lot of reloads at the 1250 speed. I found the faster burning powder loads kicked a lot and some just did not pattern well.

We were comparing Unique patterns one day with new AA 3 dram 7 1/2's, the Unique was as good as the new reds and some looked better. I found 22 grains of Unique from a AA case, primer and wad shot really good.

Terry.

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

"Patterns really good" means it microwaves the target. LOL

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

j2jake

Promo will work fine for a 1200 fps 1 1/8 oz load, provided you select proper components to keep the pressures within check. 1250 fps would probably be pushing it. I would select a more appropriate powder like Green Dot or Unique for the 1250 fps loads. I use Promo for a lot of my 1oz loads, and some 1 1/8oz when/if I shoot them. Just be sure to use a good primer for cold weather. No Fiocchi primers with Promo. I use the Winchester W209 and Federal 209A with Promo in cold weather. Cheddites will work fine in more moderate temps. Rios would probably work well, but the lack of reliable data prevents me from using them more. I have also heard that they are a bit inconsistent, pressure and velocity wise. I have verified the velocity inconsistencies in a couple of loads, to a small extent. I don't use Remington primers much anymore, since they have a tendency to cause some spectacular flames out of my ejection port. I shoot an 1100 and do so at night more often than not.

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

nutenbutsmoke, Here you are the same load as in a Win. AA handicap load using your components you listed. All you need to do is buy some Winchester Super Handicap powder, $105 at Gamaliel right now. The load is l & l/8 oz. lead. Win. primer, Win. clone wad, 21 grains of Win. handicap powder loads at 11,200 pressure, at 1,255 fps in STS hull. This is a exact copy of the Win. AA handicap loan. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

15. Nutnbutsmoke

Nutnbutsmoke Member

I appreciate everyones replies, who makes the unique and promo powder? and has anyone ever tried the Solo 1250 I saw it has some hot loads listed for 1 1/8 AA. Also how persevible is the pressure to felt recoil, if the difference between receipes is 800 to 1000 psi are you going to notice it?

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Nutnbutsmoke

Alliant Powder is the manufacturer of The "Dots", Unique, Herco, and Promo plus a host of others like e3 and American Select. www.alliantpowder.com

They have loading data and a downloadable manual available on their site.

I can't advise you about Solo 1250. It didn't work too well for me, but I have not used enough of it to work the kinks out with the loads I tried. A lot of people are using it, so it might not be that bad.

As for the pressures, my target is between 8000 to 10,000 PSI. You would not usually be able to tell the difference in recoil from a 10,500 psi load and one at 7,500 psi, provided the velocities are the same. There are a lot of people that will tell you otherwise. There are a few recent threads to explore on that subject. Lower pressures are just easier on your gun. You do need enough pressure for the loads to burn consistently. I just don't like to use anything that high, since they will eventually take their toll on your guns. I also like to have a little margin for error, since I can only guess what my loads will develop, unless I have them tested. I have done that for a few loads and I have more to get done in the future. I select my powders accordingly. If I can't get the velocity and pressures where I want them, I use a different powder that will be within that window. I test my loads by freezing them for a few days and then running them over a chronograph while still cold and also at normal summer temps, if I can. It will reveal problems with some loads that will appear when the weather gets colder.

The powders that I have had good results with at the 1250 mark would be Green Dot, Unique, Herco, PB, International Clays, and Universal Clays. I probably left out a few, but those powders have worked for me. My heavy handicap load uses Green Dot. I have also used Unique and a few others, but Green Dot hits my pressure needs right at the velocities I targeted. The Alliant Data shows a heavier charge weight for the listed velocity, but I just sought to get close to the factory stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.