1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1200/1400 winchester

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by start1, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. start1

start1 TS Member

i would like to hear from someone that has shot win. 1200/1400 on skeet or trap a lot. i want to know the parts to keep on hand that might break from extended use. the part schematic looks like these modle share many parts.

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

the bow shaped ejector spring is pretty much it

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

They aren't really made for the long haul. I have a few extra ejectors, misc springs, a complete bolt, and an extra gun in rough shape for parts. I don't shoot mine much at targets, but it has done some extensive duty in the field. Trap doubles are interesting, since mine appears to be able to direct the empties right at the adjacent shooter, no matter where he hides. Birchwood Casey makes a stick on hull catcher called the "Save-It" that works well for this gun. If it's a painted reciever like the MkII, be careful when removing it. Put some light oil on it and let it soak for a couple of days to soften the adhesive.

4. 100straight

100straight Member

I have a 1400 that I bought new in 1974. I shot it so much that I completely wore our the entire trigger/hammer assembly and replaced it as a unit after trying to piece it together several times. I also replaced the firing pin because the end of it was mushroomed from being hit so many times by the hammer. The gun has never broke on me in the middle of shooting, and has been about the most dependable semi-auto I've ever seen. It still has all the original ejector parts in it although I'm told all the time that they'll break any day. I've been hearing that for the past 20 years. The gun just keeps on shooting. I think I'm just lucky. Hope that helps.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

100straight

Like yours, mine has been all too dependable. One time it stopped cycling, not ejecting, and all it needed was a good cleaning. There was too much gunk in the action for it to cycle reliably. I couldn't say when it was previously cleaned thoroughly. It did still shoot rather well as a single shot. I figured that with all of the spare parts I have on hand, I can handle anything that breaks. Murphy's law will dictate that something will break at the worst time, and it will be the one item I don't have. :) I'd probably buy another one if they still made them. I just think they are an inexpesively made firearm. I don't believe they are all that durable. I'd still certainly take one over some of the imports I've seen lately.

Quack!

6. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

Quack

Not to mention that I keep trying to talk you out of your 1400. lol

Luvn

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Luvn,

Among other things? :) I'll be sure that "IF" I ever decide to sell the 1400, I'll give you the right of first refusal.

8. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

Quack,

Why should I buy it? I can just visit it any time I want. Unless it's duck hunting season. hehe

Luvn

9. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I have a 1400 MKII, it has been a great gun for me. I use it on clays and in the field. This is one of the few factory guns that points where I look. For the price you just cannot beat it. Keep it clean, it will last a long time.

GS

10. atashooter

atashooter Member

Over 200,000 rounds and still shuck'in since 1965

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. theodorescolt45

theodorescolt45 TS Member

I had a 1400 MKII Trap and got tired of fixing it an having it fixed, I shot it alot. Ended up trading or for a 1200 Skeet ( sucker for punishment I guess ! )
    shot it a few hundred rounds and trigger assy broke, safety fell out, spring went somewhere ... replaced the springs, still no good ( I think I lost a part ! ) anyway got a whole new trigger assy and all is fine ... still do not shoot it much I bought a Remington 1100 Skeet and never had a problem, It works fine now, but I do not use it much, bought a 30" trap barrel for it too and have used it for both.
    only think I noticed is the old AA's with the ring around the brass tend to hang up in the magazine when feed on doubles, so I try not to use them as the 2nd shot on doubles ... I know they are old shells, but so is the 1200 and I have CASES and CASES of them I loaded in the late 70's

Good luck,
    I do like the 1200 better then the 1400, but if I was to get an autoloader I would
    get an 1100 for a little more money
    -oo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.