1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

12 or 20ga for wife ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kevin a., Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevin a.

kevin a. Member

my wife now shows a little interest in shooting

5'1" tall what would be better 12 or 20GA

i'm leaning towards 20GA semi-auto ?

it would have to be budget conscious(refinishing/blueing needed) ok

kevin

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I'd suggest a 12 guage semi-auto if she's going to be trap shooting.

John C. Saubak

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I agree with Old Cowboy IF the purpose is for trapshooting but for hunting or just casual shooting a 20 ga would be fine.

4. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

Go the 12 guage route. You can load light 7/8 or 1 oz loads. The little extra weight will soak up some recoil and resale might be easier if she looses interest or wants to upgrade.

5. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Given your wife's height, put her into a Beretta 3901 RL 12 ga., with 26" or 28" barrels. It has a 12" LOP with two 1/2" spacers and an adj comb. $935.00. If she loses interest you can resell the Beretta and get a lot of your money back.
    Mike Battista
    727 410 5212

6. lightning20ga

lightning20ga Member

3/4 12ga is sweet works great in new a 400 beretta

7. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

As a woman here is what I have learned, I started shooting with a 20and it was not long before I wanted a real trap gun, I went with a browning bt99 golden clay, used, be sure you get one with gracoil system on it. Soaks up the recoil, and it will lengthen from 13 5/8 to I believe15.

I an 5'7" but I know ladies much shorter, shooting 12 ga and I love 34 inch on a single barrel, my over under is 32, my field gun over under is 28.

I really suggest getting it fitted properly or she will not want to shoot.
    Deb

8. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

My wife was very recoil and noise sensitive but fell in love with her 1100 TB 30" fixed full step rib barrel. She used one ounce of 8's at 1180 fps and really ink balled targets.

Ed Ward

9. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Depend on the load, 20 ga could kick as much as 12 ga.

Mike B. made a good suggestion, Beretta 391 gas operate 12 ga with RL stock is very easy to shoot, it handles light loads well, and it's resell value is well established.

10. kevin a.

kevin a. Member

i should have said it was for trap shooting- was thinking 1oz loads

what is an easy way to tell her lop ? aprox.

needs to be low budget

thanks for all the coments kevin

11. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

hey kevin-- i've been down this road ,dozens of times--you are welcome to call me-- i can also set you up with a 12ga beretta auto -low budget and right LOP---wally riebesell 660-744-4115 cst

12. DanLee

DanLee Member

Length of pull--you could use the old yardstick from the inside of the elbow to the first joint of the shooting finger method, which has been disparaged by all, but still puts you in the ball park. You can pick up a Ram-Line youth stock that fits 12-gauge 1100s for around $70. It gives a LOP that fits kids and ladies and the recoil pad is pretty good.

Dan

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Kevin, A Rem. 1100 or 11-87 will be cheaper than the Beretta. Both are gas guns and will serve your wife well. I also think that there will more options for shorter stocks with the Rem. 1100 auto as well. Many a father has cut one down for a wife or son. I'd stick with the 12 ga. as well. Like Ohio gal said it didn't take long for her to want to upgrade to a 12 ga.(if she stays with shooting) and if she does not want to shoot anymore after a few trys than the 12 ga. will be alot easier to sell off, or for you to turn into a (fill in the blank) gun. I'd give her some 1150 fps 7/8 oz loads to shoot the first few times as well. If you don't reload, try the Win. Low noise,low recoil loads with 7/8 oz shot fired at 980 fps. Nothing will turn her off faster than the gun kicking her to much the very first time she shoots. If this happens it will most likely be her last time shooting as well. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

Almost forgot to add, Make sure the gun fits her well before you go out as well. Most women will need a adjustable butt plate, as it will need to be lowered l to l l/2 inchs and turned around 25 degress for her.

14. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

For trap I would go with the 12 ga. I will say that I've tried factory 7/8oz. loads in two 1100's and they wouldn't eject the empty casing. I believe this could be corrected by cutting the action spring but much better to consult a gunsmith first. I use 7/8oz in my XT for singles and they are sweet. Mark.

15. 20yard

20yard TS Member

for trap, beretta semi 12 gauge light loads is a great choice that wont limit her at all and lowest recoil choice.

16. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

My wife (5'2") shot for several years, after trying everything (we could borrow) to shoot a round or 2 with she chose an 1100 12ga. I cut down & re-shaped an extra stock just to her needs. I loaded a VERY light 1oz. load just enough to reliably function the action and she did quite well with it. When she quit shooting we kept it for a couple years but when she said she was done sell my gun, another lady tried it & bought it on the spot for what we had in it, then I sold the original stock also. Probably should have just kept it and put the original stock back on to use as a back-up for myself. It was a very reliable gun. Parts are easy to get & you can replace almost everything yourself. just our experience.--Ross Puls

17. fortycaliberglock

fortycaliberglock Member

I wouldn't trade my wife for a 12 nor a 20! Maybe a nice 28 sxs though:)

18. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Keven, Go With Wally Riebesell And You Will NOT Go Wrong. He Knows what he Is Talking About And Knows Beretta Auto"s. He Can Fix A Gun For Your Wife That She Will Like To Shoot. Joe Whitehurst

19. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

I would start with light loads in either gauge and a stock that fits. Hitting a moving target is not easy for a beginner and can be discouraging. You might try her with a BB gun, safety glasses, and close range target practice in the yard or basement with a home made bullet trap first if you can do that. Make it fun and challenging with empty shotgun shells and other objects as targets. Have competitions. Teach fundamental gun handling and safety. This experience first is what most of us have learned as children, though some are a bit lacking in that department. Progress to a 22. By the time she is ready for a shotgun, she'll be comfortable and proficient in handling a firearm. Who knows, she might be a natural and smoke you.

20. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

12 gauge 1100

The wife had the stock shortened and has an adjustable comb.

If your wife has not been shooting, a few minutes each day mounting the gun before she heads to the range, as women need to build up the upper body strength.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.