1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

12 or 20 for daughter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jerseyshooter, May 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseyshooter

Jerseyshooter TS Member

My 19 year old daughter has shown interest in going trap shooting with me. She is 5'5", 110 lb and in good physical condition. She is really concerned, though, about recoil. I don't want to have her spoiled on the sport by shooting an inappropriate or ill fitting shotgun. I am sure I am going with an autoloader for the lower recoil but am interested in opinions over going 12 or 20. I do reload, so I could put together some relatively light shells. I also understand, that there are some 20's made on smaller frames which would be an advantage for fit. Just looking for recommendations, suggestions and your experiences.....thanks.

2. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

12 ga 1100 0r any gun w/recoil reducer gracoil. etc

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

12ga with 7/8 oz loads. Keep the speed in the sub 1200fps and it'll feel like she is shooting a 22. It's hard to beat an 1100 for soft recoil.

ss

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

There are also 12g gas guns for small framed people. Remember, the same weight payload launched at the same speed from the same weight guns is going to have the same recoil. The myth that 20g guns kick less is just a myth.

My recommendation is to go with 12 gauge. The gun is going to be a little bit heavier, and that will help with recoil. Also, since you reload 12g, you can tailor a 7/8oz low velocity load that cycles the gun. Also, resale value for a trap autoloader will be better in 12g than 20g. She may decide she likes it and wants a better gun.

Whatever you do, make sure the gun fits her. I can't tell you how many times I've seen women turned off because they shot Dad's or hubby's gun (too long, not the right pitch, too little cast, and too low a comb) and it hurt. One daughter (same size as yours) tried a round with Dad's break open gun and 1oz @1290fps loads. She fired one shot then gave the gun back to Dad saying it hurt.

5. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

391 with 7/8 oz loads

6. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

I would use a 12 gauge semi with 3/4 oz loads to start with. After a couple of sessions with this load and if she still likes shooting, then maybe go up to 7/8 oz loads. my 2 cents. JM

7. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

I agree with JM only maybe won't need to move up to 7/8 if she's shooting from 16 yds. I shoot 3/4 oz in my 1100 and it smokes targets. Send me an email if you need a good 3/4 oz. recipe. Mike.

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Beretta 12GA semi-auto with light loads. No 20GA anything ever!!

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Good advice so far. You mentioned that your daughter is in good physical condition and is a young adult so I would look at a moderate weight break action gun in 12 guage. The Browning XT comes to mind. Lighter weight guns are going to kick more regardless of guage. If need be the XT can be fitted with a recoil reducing device or special stock. (probably won't be necessary)

The gas guns do offer a bit of extra recoil reduction but they are more complicated to maintain and operate. The break action gun will be the best choice if she stays with the sport. If possible, have your daughter try out both the break action and a few gas guns before you make this decision.

Since you are a reloader you can make very mild yet effective trap loads. Start with a 1 Oz load @ 1,150 FpS. The lower vel 7/8 Oz loads will recoil even less but performance does drop off pretty quickly with those rounds.

10. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

For light recoil I would use a 12 gauge 1100 with 7/8 ounce loads. A 20 gauge 1100 with 3/4 ounce loads has very little recoil but the lighter load would be handicapping your daughter. But then again, from the 16 yard line, a 3/4 ounce load of no. 8 1/2's out of a 20 gauge 1100 would be a very light recoiling gun and with a full choke would smoke targets.

11. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Go with the 12ga. An 1100 is a perfect gun for anyone to start with . I have a beautifull one for sale here in NJ at Mallard Trap Club if your interested . You can come over and try it out but the stock may have to be cut or not . I would start with 1 oz light loads way below 1200 fps .I think mine are around 1125 . Dennis

12. tachyon

tachyon Member

I coach the trap team at an all girls high school. Over the last 8 years we have introduced more than a hundred girls to the sport. Making up some lighter loads is a good first step. 7/8th ounce low velocity loads are what we use for recoil sensitive girls.

I recommend going with a 12 gauge. As others have said, fit should be a priority. Girls typically have shorter arms and longer necks when compared to men. A reduced length of pull (easy) and in some cases a shorter length between the grip and trigger (more difficult) is necessary. Some toe out on the stock is usually required.

The Beretta 391 RL. This is a reduced length 391 designed for smaller framed shooters. If you go with the 390 or regular 391 you will probably need to have the stock length reduced. If she stays with the sport then adding an adjustable comb and pad would complete the process.

Remington 1100. We have a couple of these with a reduced length of pull as "club" guns for the girls to try. Girls with small hands still have problems with the grip to trigger length. Last year I bought a Wenig's ladies 1100 stock. Reduced length of pull, shorter grip distance, built in toe out. I bought the machine inletted "do it yourself" stock for under $100.00. It worked great for one of my munchkin shooters.

Browning BT-99 Micro. This works pretty well right out of the box. It has a reduced length of pull and when combined with a gracoil unit it works. Guns Unlimited has it for under $1000 right now and units with the gracoil are at $1300.

We also have a bunch of girls shooting model 12's and a few shooting 870's but the three listed above are good starting points.

13. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

12ga with 1oz loads in a Beretta 391 would work well.

14. md-11

md-11 TS Member

I can highly recommend the Beretta 3901 Target for a new shooter. I bought my 11 yr. old son one for christmas this year and what a great little gun. It comes with a reduced length of pull stock w/ spacers for adjustments as well as an adjustable comb. The gas system is very simple and easy to clean. The only down side is the gun comes with only one IC choke tube. Since I shoot beretta's as well additional chokes weren't a problem. We patterned the gun with the whole series of chokes and found the LM to be the best for 16 yds. My son shoots the Mod. choke back to behind the 27 yd. markers and just crushes targets with that choke. I load 1 oz. mid to low velocity loads and there is very little recoil. What you get for the money ( less than 950.00 NIB ) makes this gun very hard to beat in my opinion. It is definitely worth taking a look at. Good Luck and have fun shooting w/ your daughter!!!

Jeff

15. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

I agree with those above who recommend a gas-operated, semi auto, 12 gauge with light loads. The stock should fit your daughter. How well it fits her is extremely important, not only for her ease of shooting it bur for the amount of felt recoil she will experience, her shooting accuracy (primarily comb height) and the rate at which she will improve with practice.

Your daughter will need a stock that is shorter than normal stocks, one with a reduced distance between the inside of the grip and the trigger, one with "more" pitch, and almost certainly, a stock with a higher comb.

Most of these features are available on ladies' stocks (the Wenig Ladies' stock is an excellent example) and with the exception of grip size, can be duplicated with changes made to most stocks.

If your daughter has the strength to to repeatedly mount and shoot a 12 gauge, it is by far the best choice in my opinion.

Rollin

16. len loma

len loma TS Member

I think a 20 will actual do more damage mentally then a 12 ga. My 13 yr old daughter is shooting a shortened 12ga 1100 with a mercury reducer in magazine 28" barrel and kick-eze recoil pad. I reload light 1oz loads. I am amazed how well she is shooting. Wed she shot a 21 from 16yd and a 13 from 23yd line. I don't let he shoot more then 2 boxes a day so as not to get flinching or bruises. She enjoys the game.

Good luck

17. 20yard

20yard TS Member

beretta 391 with 1 oz 1200 fps loads are the best answer in my view, very light recoil, frankly 1 1/8 wont feel bad either but dont need it from the 16 yard line

18. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Jerseyshooter, Yes do stay with the 12 ga. Almost all women I have seen shoot will need a short stock,adj. comb, and adj. butt plate. It is just what women need to get a gun to fit. That's around $500 to do all that, plus more if she needs a recoil devise on top of it. That to much money to put into any auto. So I say get her a BT-99, or if she wants to shoot doubles,skeet,sporting clays get her a XT Trap,XS Sporting, or XS Skeet, and get a PFS Stock to fit this gun for her. It will cut all recoil problems as its adjustable recoil devise and also totally adj. for lenth of pull,with built in adj. comb and butt plate as well. No need for a smith to cut any wood or install anything. Remember as she grows you will need to add to the stock, so more stock fitting in her future as well. Buy the gun and the PFS used on this site and you can sell both at a later date and get all your money back as well if need be. She will be ever so happy with a good fitting and no recoiling gun as well. She will also be able to shoot l l/8 oz. loads with this PFS stock if she wants to as well. These Stocks are perfet for all Kids, and Adults that are hard to fit or are recoil sensitive. Best of Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

19. RJ

RJ TS Member

I have 2 1100's and love them both. I got these because of the disease I aquired. So I had to knock down my time using the 870 to a very limited time and use the 1100's more often. For your Dollar the 1100 would be the way to go. They have a fairly good resail rate and yes, they do require a little more TLC than known others but I believe you pay for that in the long run. Do the same for the 1100,' as you or I would do with an 870. Clean them often and clean them well. (Rich.inAz.)

20. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I had three daughters who shot and would recommend a 12 gauge also,the one who still shoots regularly uses a 680 beretta unsingle that weighs in the 10 lb range now with no problems,sometimes lighter means more recoil with any load and can do more harm than good.Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.