1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

12 GAUGE RED VERSALITE WADS..QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin62, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

I have been using the yellow versalite 20 gauge wads and found them to be very good. I'n now thinking of trying the red 12 gauge ones, has any one used these wads and how did they work out for you.

I'll be using them with unique 1 1/8 ounce loads for trap and some skeet loads.

If anyone has a bag or 2 for sale let me know.

2. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Don't pass the Downrange WJ-12-RPL wads by without giving them a try. They work very good with Unique at a very reasonable pressure. They are a Windjammer clone. Personally I like them better than the Versalite.

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I use these wads for my handicap loads(25yrd +) as I find they work very well.

Unique works very well for faster, heavier loads (1200fps + 1 1/8 oz loads). There are other powders much better suited for lighter loads.

You can use the search engine on this site for some really good info on both the powder and wads.

ss

4. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

I really like the 12g Versalite. I've mainly used them in FGM hulls, but lately I've tried them in remmy hulls & it seems they do a little better.. both loads at 1250fps with Unique.. As short shucker implied,keep these loads at handicap levels. Looking for a handicap load with PB & remmy hulls, I haven't found one yet.

5. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

<i>Looking for a handicap load with PB & remmy hulls, I haven't found one yet. </i>

Hatshooter ... there's a full screen of them there. No Versalite listed, but I'd wager a call to Hodgdon would solve that ok ... 23.5gn (±). (fixed)

Bob

6. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

Bob, thanks.. I called them back a few months ago, they had no 1250 fps load in that combination. they did give me a 1 1/8 load at 1200 fps with 21.5 gr PB.. many thanks

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Hat, if you're wanting 1250 ... and I'm a fan of Versalite for CAPS ... I'll stay with the 23.5gn recommendation.

Look at all the RemChester wad combinations. Ballistically, the Versalite is about as 'sticky' as the WAA12 or Fig8. Pressure will be 10k ±.

PB is one of the most predictable powers, and you have to do some weird stuff to make it get 'pressury' for any 1-1/8oz load.

Hand-load a few and send them to Armbrust or Downrange or PR, then CC: his results to Mike Daily.

Versalite is an underused wad, and I'm not real sure why. 'Old', I guess.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.