1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

12 gauge blanks load needed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrubbyJack, Jul 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

ballistic products had some in one of there reloading manuals...might call and ask...Grubby

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I haven't had much luck making smokless blanks. 30 gain (volume) of pyrodex or black and a red wad works pretty well. Just about any hull will work.

3. sshotshell

sshotshell Member

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Why put a real shotgun into that kind of use? I like to be able to dump the "shotgun" and make a correction if I need to so I use a training pistol that smacks 209 primers, (LOUD) with a wood or plastic sillouhette shotgun I make myself that I can just throw down if I need to. The dog doesn't know the difference and I don't have to risk damaging a real gun - or losing one.

5. trap906

trap906 Member

AA hull, 50 gr. pyrodex or ffg. by volume. use a muzzle loader measure. aa white wad, about 1/3 of a paper towell shoved in the wad to have something to crimp on and fit tight. any 209 primer. makes a nice loud "bang" and a really pretty red and green fire ball at night!! don't forget to clean the gun soon after shooting, black powder and pyrodex are corrosive ya know!! if its too loud, back off the powder.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Years ago there was some data for blanks using PB powder and card wads. You'd load whatever primer fit the hull, added 30 - 40 grains of PB powder and then stacked enough card wads and fiber fillers to get it to crimp. Loud bang and it would dent the side of s junk car pretty badly. I think these were listed in the Lyman handbook, but it's ancient stuff. I'm sure someone could make a modern version of it.

7. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I have 2 kinds...ones with out powder and ones with out shot!!

tony

8. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

I just recently picked up a couple of old boxes of blanks (field trial shells) marked "Western" Field Loads for Training. Or something like that. They are basically blanks, and I mainly picked them up for the boxes and collectability, because I like old shells and boxes. The friend I got these from had another 10 or so boxes and maybe this is what you are looking for. I can see if he would be interested in parting with what he has left. The head stamp on the brass was a mixture of "Winchester" as well as some of them having just "Western" stamped on them. The copyright on the bottom of the boxes still had the old parent company name of Winchester-Western, so you know they are pretty old.

Mike Hessong* (MH*)

President- Victoria (Texas) Skeet and Trap Club

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.