Trapshooters Forum banner

(?) 12 ga vs. 20 ga. 1oz and 7/8oz loads

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Full N. Fuller 
#1 ·
I currently shoot a Beretta Silver Pigeon Trap 12ga. using 1oz. loads.

I also have a 30" 20ga. o/u barrel that fits this gun. Question: Has anyone 'out there' used this combo to shoot Trap singles or doubles using 7/8oz. or 1oz. loads? Do you see a big difference between the 12ga vs. 20ga?

Regards,

John

#7 ·
Generally a 12-gauge will pattern 1 oz. slightly better than a 20-gauge choked the same will due to setback deformation in the taller column. But the 20-gauge will pattern 7/8 oz. about the same as the 12-ga. will.

Your 20-gauge barrels MAY be HEAVIER than your 12-gauge barrels, as that often happens when 20-gauge barrels are made to fit a 12-gauge frame.

Whichever one you are most comfortable shooting is probably the one you will score the highest with.

The main reason people shoot 12-ga. in the Olympics is probably that ISSF rules do not permit any other gauge.

#9 ·
Shows what an old f**t you are! :)

I stand corrected -- they DO allow smaller gauge guns to be used. Rule 9.4.2.1.

I'd guess no one is using a smaller gauge because they need the weight to absorb the recoil of the high # of shells they have to fire in practice and competition, and it is usually hard to find a 20-ga. that weighs enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.