1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

12 ga. bore sizes

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 8point, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 8point

8point Member

I recently purchased a Rem. 3200 Competition Trap @ this website and checked the bores that apparently have been reworked and found them to both be .720 Is this a skeet choke? My old 3200 checks .690 bottom and.680 top.They are stamped Imp.Mod on bottom and full on top. The new gun is also stamped the same, but been reworked. Who is a reputable gunsmith for choke tubes in a 3200?

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are measuring the choke diameter. The bore is the diameter of the middle area of the barrel. Most of those guns had a bore of .727 (approximately), so IF the bore is untouched your constriction would be .007, which would be a good skeet choke. You need to measure the bore diameter to know for sure, as someone may have back bored the barrel at the same time they did the chokes.

Briley is probably your best bet for thin wall chokes. 3200s have notoriously thin walled barrels and they may not be able to install choke tubes in that barrel. Good luck. Bill Malcolm

3. 8point

8point Member

Bill, being a retired toolmaker I may have used the wrong terminology. A bore is a hole, so the bores at the end are .720. 2.5 inches down the bore the inside diameter is still .720. I would assume there is no restriction in 2.5 inches.Thanks for your input. Dave

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Check it in front of the forcing cones. You may still be getting some choke. At any rate, It sounds like you have skeet chokes. A bore guage would be nice here. I use a T shaped hole guage but I have an extension for it to get in about 5 or 6 inches.

HM

5. lytnin1

lytnin1 Member

Fellas the standard practice for measuring the bore diameter of a shotgun barrel
    the measurement is usually taken 9" from the chamber and should be around .729" for a 12#

6. 8point

8point Member

Thanks for all the input.With telescope gauge I can only reach about 3 inches max. Actually the only measurement I was interested in was the choke and apparently it's been answered.The verdict is that these barrels are Skeet and Skeet. It does not smoke targets @ 16 yds like my old Im.Mod.It breaks them into 8 to 12 pieces. Definetly not a confidence builder.We are looking @ choke tubes.Luckily my 32 inch barrels off my old 3200 fit. Thanks again for all the input. Dave

7. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Yes, many barrels are well over bored these days, but 12 ga (by definition) is about .729.

To the original poster, you actually do NOT yet have the answer. Choke is measured as a delta, or difference, from nominal bore and if you do not absolutely know what the nominal bore size is, you do not know how much constriction you have. If your bores are .729 and you are measuring the smallest constriction in the chokes at .720, then you have an IC choke. If your bores are say .740, then you have 20/1000's of constriction and are shooting mod or so. You have to have both measurements. However, it sure does not sound like you have impr mod and full as marked.

I would second Briley on thin walls if your barrel wall thickness is not enough for regular choke tubes.

Best of luck to you.

Stephen

8. 8point

8point Member

Went to the Briley website. Looks like $400.00 to do both barrels which includes 5 thin wall tubes @ Briley Manufacturing in Texas.Thanks Steve. Your info is right on the ball. Dave

9. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

Check out Wrights they also do thin wall choke tubes and it sounds like your barrels are within the minimum size. Use the link above.

CHEERS

10. newcastle

newcastle Member

8point, what are you going to do with the barrels, I may be interested if you decide to sell them.

11. 8point

8point Member

I think I'll get choke tubes put in the 30" barrels. If I like the 30's I'll sell the 32" ported barrels.I've shot 32inch for 30 years so it will take a little shooting to see if I like the 30's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.