1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

11TH AIRBORNE DIVISION

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by trap72, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trap72

trap72 Member

DO WE HAVE READERS OUT THERE WERE, A PARATROOPER IN THE 11TH AIRBORNE DIVISION "THE ANGELS" THAT WAS STATIONED IN FORT CAMPBELL KENTUCKY AND LATER IN GERMANY BACK 56 YEARS AGO?

IF SO, DO YOU REMEMBER THESE CALL POINTS: " 41A, HOSPITAL, WATER TOWER, DZ COMING UP" THIS WAS FOR YOMOTO DROP ZONE.

HQ CO, 1ST BN, 503 REG

ERNIE

2. trap72

trap72 Member

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

info at the link.

4. airborne11

airborne11 TS Member

Trap 72
    Graduated jump school 15Oct55 at Ft.Campbell, Gryo,d to Gwrmany with Med. Co. 503 AIR. Life member of11 Abn. Ass.
    All the way
    Jack Aichele

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Interesting- I had seen the patch

When I came on active duty there were still a few (very few) guys that had glider badges

Flying boxcars are what the gliders were called and you can only imagine landing in one- or controlled crash as they liked to say

Regards from Iowa

Gene

6. airborne11

airborne11 TS Member

We jumped the C-119's also called the Flying Boxcar. If you ever flew in one you could see why you would wannt to jump. The gliuders were all gone when I got there..

Jack A.

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Fort Campbell was all legs in 1970 except for the riggers and pathfinders- they were airmobile by then but still called airborne div

I jumped out of 119s while in jump school as they were still in the Air Force Reserve fleet- felt and sounded like a jack hammer when you were inside- and yes you did want to get out of it

Regards from Iowa

Gene

PS - someone once told me that the world is mainly made up of legs- so get used to it.

C/2/325 Inf (Abn)

Then a little time at Devens and Bad Tolz working with the 10th SF

Then time with the 18th Airborne Corps

8. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I went to basic training in November 1966 at Campbell. 3rd Army and the DI's were all 101st vets. Mostly at that time Korean War vets. They were all good guys and took it very easy on us draftees. They made sure that we shot straight, could run a mile, and cared for our Brothers. They all knew where we were going in those days. AIRBORNE!

9. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Well, all that I can claim is that my son is 82nd airborne. And I've jumped...once. I liked it!

Thank you, guys, for your service.

10. bigunn

bigunn TS Member

I also took basic training in sept 1966 at fort campell, Do remember that our co. was called B-1- 4. Left thear and went straight to fort Lenardwood Mo. no leave.bigunn

11. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Stand in the Door!!

Curt

grnberetcj_2008_030318.jpg

12. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

I was in 82nd at Bragg then to Special Warfare Center and I jumped the 119's a little then switched to 130's, much nicer jump. That was in 64.At my age and with my knees the jumping would be easy, the landing not so much so.

13. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Have only the highest regard for the 82nd and 101st Airborne troops. Being a poor student in Oklahoma around 1964 I rejoined the USAF as an active Reservist in Muskogee,OK as a Flight Engineer on the C-119G Flying Boxcar. Needed money bad!! When loading new troops it was fun to tell them that yes this is a C-119 and yes we were draft dodging weekend warriors.Jump Master did not appreciate it but they sure went out the doors fast! Loved the heavy equipment drops too.

14. recurvyarcher

LOL...Ima tell my son you said that, Vern.

15. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

As a former USAF mechanic all I have to say is:"Anyone who willingly exits a functioning USAF Aircraft at altitude has rocks in their heads"..That said- when my son comes back from this tour in A'stan he's going back to HQ 82nd at Bragg.
    Curvy, thank your son for his service.

Larry

16. recurvyarcher

Let me know when he goes, I'll put him touch with my kid. Well, he's 30 years old and a captain now...getting ready to move up a rank. Guess one day I'll have to stop calling him a kid, huh?

Thanks to all of you who serve and whose kids serve. Don't know what we would do without our military members.

17. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

Devi- Mine is a Major, soon to be(this summer) a LTCol. He was the "6" of B/3/505 in '02 in A'stan and the XO of 2/505 in Iraq in'08, currently ADC to a 3-Star in A'stan.. He likes that jumping out of airplanes crap! He'll be in the G-3 shop at HQ82 when he gets back.

Larry

18. recurvyarcher

Ok, let me know when he does. Chevy can show him around Fayetteville.

19. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

Devi- He's been in and out of F'ville since '01- my DIL and GKs are living in Sanford- but thanks for the offer..BTW- NICE Gun Club on Bragg, and a great S/C club in Sanford.

Larry

20. airborne11

airborne11 TS Member

Our cadre and jump school instructers were allWW2 vets. They were a great bunch. Truly the GreatestGenaration, they trained hard but very little chickens##t. I got together with my 1st sarge and some his friends at a dedication at the Airborne Walk at benning in the mid 90s. A great with a bunch of old vets. Jack A

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

larry campbell army paratrooper 11th airborne division 1953