1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1187 question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Setterman, Sep 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I was asked today if a 2 3/4" 1187 barrel can used on a 3 1/2" frame? I have a
    1187 Super mag for sale and the potential buyer wants to put a trap barrel on it.

Thanks for your help.

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

No, 11-87 Super magnum barrels are NOT interchangeable with the other 11-87 barrels. Mark

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Remington states it is not interchangeable.

I've never tried to confirm that with actual testing.

My advice is for your buyer to find a used standard 1187 instead of a Supermag.

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Hey ..like Brian said a long while back...there aint nothing stopping the SuperMag from being used in trap..the regular 1100 shell catcher works just fine and its one of the better 3.5" guns at cycling light 2.75dram trap loads..I have one and it loves 3dram Wally World Federals and I've used it many rainy days and on lots of sporting clay rounds...even broke a 100 straight in sporting with it once..mines a 28" bbl Walnut/matte blue model
    ...purely luck I'm sure but proud of it none the less

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    One caveat on the 1187 Supermag with light loads... If you buy a used Supermag, make sure it has the gas seal actuator sleeve with it. It gets installed on top of the gas rings for use with light loads. If the gun lacks it, Remington used to provide these free, but it would not surprise me if they charged for it now.

It's not the only gas auto that has them... the 1187 20ga has one that needs to always be installed.

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Thanks Brian..I forgot to mention that...I've always had the actuator sleeve in place as I've only shot 3" mags even one time for turkey...never even considered a 3.5" shell...got the gun cheap for hunting and figured it would always be capable of bringing down anything and even 3" mags would never stress it out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.