1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1187 or 391?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hunter44, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Looking to pick up either a Beretta 391 or a Remington 11-87 for waterfowl, turkey, & dove. Which would you prefer & why?

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

In my opinion, the 11-87 does not compare to the 391. The 391 is more trouble free and does not need the maintenance; as does the Remington. However, if cost is a concern; the 11-87 will be less expensive to purchase than the 391. JMHO. Ed

3. hammer-time

hammer-time TS Member

I won't go so far as to say that the 391 has less problems. I've had my share with them. But, your talking about hunting, not running 1000 rounds of target loads through it before cleaning. Both of these guns are reliable enough to serve as hunting guns. However, they both wont fit the same. I'd use that as the deciding factor. I don't shoot remingtons because they absolutely do not fit me, too short. The Beretta does. You'll be satisfied with either as long as they fit.

4. FIB

FIB Member

I'm exactly the opposite of hammer-time. Remington firearms fit me to a t and therefore I generally shoot better with them. I've had both the 391 and 11-87. I still have the 11-87. Regards, Randy

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have both and like both but the 391 is a better gun all the way around. (IMO) You also pay about twice as much for the 391 as you would for an 11-87.

6. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

The Beretta does cost a lot more. It is a matter of personal opinion if that extra cost is worth it. My Mossberg auto cost even less and so far has been more reliable than a lot of the Berettas I have run up against while shooting. It is such a simple design.

7. philk

philk Member

C. None of the above. Buy a Benelli, the others are not even close.

8. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

Benelli?

We can only assume that you're joking.

9. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

For my Trap I shot a 391 and will stay with this for this purpose.

I have a Premier 11-87 that I have shot numerous Turkeys and Quail with, light weight and ez on the body, but, would never use the 1187 for repetitive high volume shooting such as trap.

You can get into a good 1187 for 1/2 what a good 391 costs.

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Sit down and take a 391 apart, then a 1187, you wont have any trouble deciding

11. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Who do you want to have jobs,,???? USA or some other country.

12. cuzy

cuzy TS Member

I have a 391 with a Dennis Devault adjustable rib, paid $900 for the barrel and rib with adjustable comb, call me if interested.

Lenny 989-821-8522

13. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I own both Remington and Beretta auto loaders, like both and put my share of shells through both. When hunting all I've ever shot were Remingtons. 870 Wingmasters, 1100's and 11-87. They fit me perfectly and in my opinion Remington puts out a good field gun.

For targets with an auto, I'm glad to be a Beretta owner. Urika Trap Option (back up gun) and a Urika 2 Sporting, flawless guns. Adjustable stock, heavier stock a more solid gun. I own a Remington Sporting 12 and it couldn't hold a candle to the Urika.

Remington simple to clean...yes. Beretta more to it...yes. But, it doesn't take a master mechanic to disassemble a Beretta and clean it either.

Ross, you have to be kidding with the USA....jobs and all that blah, blah, blah. That $#!t get old. Next you'll say if you bought the Beretta used it's ok then. It wouldn't take much to put Remington in the toilet today. And I'm a big Remington shotgun fan.

14. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

I'm biased, Remington.

I like the way the Beretta fits me, but don't like the boinggggg everytime it goes off.

15. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Mike, you are 100% correct with that boingggg sound. At least with the Urika Trap Optima I own. I've shot pretty well with this gun. The ability to get a proper fit and the fact I never developed any cycling problems or had a problem(s) of any kind seems to overshadow the sound. I personally can admit sometimes I can get distracted very easily but, that sound never caused a distraction or took away from shooting it.

My Urika 2 Sporting does not make that sound. Why? I don't know. My parts should be interchangable on both guns. I just have not got around to eliminate the slight noise on one or duplicate it on the other. Really don't find it necessary.

I own quite a few Remingtons and I'm a long time fan. Enjoy my older 1100's and 11-87 field guns. I bought a Sporting 12 a few years ago. I'm not gonna call the gun a POS. It's not. But, I have an issue with the barrel nut loosening up between only a few shots and don't like the fact that I tightening and re-tightening between stations. To me as mentioned above is a major distraction to me. To others it my not be. My scores improved immediatly after I bought the Urika 2 Sporting. This loosening in a target gun should not happen at all. My field guns don't do it, not even on my 11-87 SPS SuperMag. I know Sporting 20 and 410 ers who have the same issue. I'm not gonna bash Remington, but they are field gun mfg's to me. Their Competition autos may look a bit prettier than a Beretta but, looks aren't everything.

Hunter, if I was going to buy another auto for hunting it would be a Remington. No doubt about it. Would like to own a CTI someday if they work the bugs out of them. Maybe they have. And I know it would work out fine and I would enjoy it. I just can't say the same for their Competition guns. I have never had one problem with a Remington field gun that needed any factory or gunsmith service. I've only replaced a few parts on my own over all the years. It is common with 1100 and 11-87 owners who shoot them alot to have a care package with the common replacement parts (pin, piston, o-rings, main spring). It's a cheap little spare parts kit to assemble.

16. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Get a Beretta Extrema. They have a different action than a 391. Way easier to clean, flawless action, great balance, no recoil, adjustable fit.

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Chevy or Ford?

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Well, I have several 1187s, ranging from turkey guns to upland to trap, and even more extra barrels. If you're thinking about extra barrels, you might check both companies and see what's available, and how much they add up to. And check the fit of the guns, too. I did not like the feel of the 391. I also do not agree that the 391 is so much more reliable than the 1187 that it costs twice as much. You are paying a lot of money for *slightly* more reliability. And the 391 is not easier to clean than the 1187. It just goes a bit longer between cleanings. The 1187 is also more friendly for user level repairs.

19. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

IMO the 391 and 1187 are definately completely different. price, weight ,fit etc.etc. if I were looking for a FIELD gun and was looking at beretta I would look for a 303 field. they are more comparable with an 1187 and the prices are about the same

20. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Even when I was shooting a 391, that I really liked, I hunted with a late model all weather 1100. It was all black, I think it was teflon on the metal and a composite stock. Very ugly to look at, but was great in the field. I bought it new and you could buy TWO 1100 all weather gunss new for the price of a clean, used 391.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1187 vs 391

beretta a303 vs remington 1187 premier

remington 1187 vs beretta 391