1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1187 gas cylinder spring question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by leftex, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leftex

leftex Active Member

I have 12 Ga. 1100 with a pressure compensated 1187 barrel. For the most part it works great. Howevever occasionally the gas cylinder spring will move forward a little and cause the gun to malfunction. Since I am using the 1100 forearm there is no room for the gas spring collar. Is this causing the problem? Could there be a problem with the spring? For what it is worth, I have used this combination in the past and it worked quite well. Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Wayne

2. leftex

leftex Active Member

Would that be a yes to the spring or the collar?

3. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Wayne, it always works better if you swap the barrel AND forearm together. You need an 1187 forearm.

Ken Rucker

4. leftex

leftex Active Member

What locates the spring on the barrel lug? Is there some kind of protrusion on the ring that fits into the gas holes?

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Wayne- The spring is just held on by tension, its just a bent piece of flat spring stock, no tabs to hold it in place. If you don't plan on shooting 3", just pull the spring and drill and tape the holes for set screws. Alternatively, you can use the barrel seal activator from the 1187 3.5" mag gun (i did this when I had a 1187 bbl on a 1100 action, was too lazy to do the setscrew thing LOL), which will effectively bypass the seal altogether.

6. bryan64

bryan64 TS Member

Skeet_man,
    Do you still need the spring if you use the barrel seal activator?
    Thanks,
    Bryan

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Bryan- I doubt it, since that bypasses the gas vents. in fact I shot mine w/ out a spring when I had the activator in and it worked fine. Put the regular gas rings in, then the activator, then the o-ring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.