1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 won't cycle 1 oz

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by $$$SHTR, Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

1100 won

I have a Remington 1100 Trap with a 30 inch barrel. Thought I wanted to shoot some Sporting Clays, so I bought a 26 inch barrel with choke tubes. Problem is, the gun will not cycle any 1 oz shells. Is there a special barrel for 1 oz?? I thought these things would shoot just about anything you could jam into them? I haven't tried any 1 1/8 oz shells as yet. I like 1 oz as you can load them from 1000fps up to 1325fps. Makes a great Sporting Clays load!

Tomas

2. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Wouldn't surprise me if an 1100 did not cycle slow 1oz loads.

I would think you should have no issues with 1200fps and up.

I've shot 1100's, Browning Golds, and Beretta 391. By far the Beretta was most consistent at cycling lighter loads. They all did fine with heavy field loads.

SW

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I have a 26" barrel that cycles everything 1 oz and up. I have a 28" barrel that cycles about half of my 1 ounce, and about 80% of my 1 1/8 loads. Ports are open in both.

4. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

Are you sure it's not a 3" chambered barrel (not steel shot remington)? All three of my 26" fixed choked and rem choke (3" steel shot) barrels cycle anything..

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    What does the barrel have stamped on it?

6. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

All my 2 3/4" barrels (4) cycle everything from 7/8 to 1 1/2. something isn't right.

7. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

My 1100 TB 30" fixed full choke 1100 and my 11/87 Premier trap cycle 1 oz. loads with ease.

I shoot both the 1180 fps factory load and a 1150 fps reload using 16.5 grains of E3, STS hull, Cheddite 209 and Remington TGT12S wad.

I suggest that you clean the 1100 very well including removing the link (fork) behind the bolt and cleaning inside of the receiver very well. Make sure that the channel on each side of the receiver in which the "ears" of the link slide are clean and lightly lubed.

While you are at, clean the trigger group and spray it down with Rem Oil. I also add a wee drop of liquid rem oil to the trigger sear.

Make sure that the gas ports are open and that the "O" ring is present.

I helped a couple of shooters on the range a few weeks back that had installed the metal rings that are between the "O" ring and the action bars incorrectly. As a result, the bolt would not go back far enough to eject a shell and keep the action open.

My 1100 TB cycles everything from 1 oz. to 1330 fps 1 1/4 oz. "games" loads with no problems.

Learn how to clean your 1100 and do it often.

1100's shoot really soft and are very dependable when clean.

A ultra clean burning powder like Alliant E3 is IMO a good choice for reloading.

I remember back in the day of buying 15 pound cardboard drums of Red Dot ($60) and loading umpteen old style AA hulls with 17.2 grains of Red Dot, a WW209 primer, AA12 wad and 1 1/8 oz of shot for a 2 3/4 dram or so load.

A really nice load for an 1100 is 21 grains of PB, Federal 209A primer, WWAA12 wad and 1 1/8 oz. of 7 1/2's. This load is soft, clean, has 1145 fps speed and will break targets from anywhere.

This load worked very well and was a soft shooter but it was dirty and every once a while unburnt powder somehow got behind the trigger and caused the gun not to function properly. A good cleaning usually fixed the problem. Today's Red Dot is much cleaner.

I would not go below 1145 fps in a 1 oz load as the recoil is very light as is. I have had a few 1 oz loads with a light powder drop fail to cycle the 1100's action.

Ed Ward

8. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

A gunsmith advised me to add another o ring to existing one and it will cycle. Jim W

9. revbook

revbook Member

I learned from another post on this site that replacing the follower, a $5.00 part, will cure most all recycling problems in an 1100. I tried it and it works!

10. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

The 1100 was cleaned prior to trying to shoot it.

The barrel is stamped Remington on one side and a star and 2 3/4" on the other.

I'll try the double o ring idea.

What is the follower?

I hope I can get this thing to shoot the 1000fps 1 oz loads as I really like this load for the close shoots in Sporting Clays.

Tomas

11. Evil monkey

Evil monkey TS Member

I would check to make sure the barrel ports are clear.

Check out this thread at shotgun world on how to clean a 1100

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=91897

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Many times 1100 ports are coked shut.

She stuff is just like ceramic, and you need to use a number 45 down to a number 41 drill in a pin vise. Don't use an electric drill, might break off the drill bit - ugh.

Mine cycles 7/8 oz loads through a ported barrel.

HM

13. hairtrigger

hairtrigger TS Member

drill out the gas ports a little bitter

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Make sure the gaps in the gas rings are not lined up. That causes a gas leak.

15. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

Took the 1100 apart today, no o ring?? Could have sworn it was there when I changed barrels. Ordered a set of o rings and will give it another try when they arrive. I did check the gas ports and they are free.

Thanks for all the information!!

Tomas

16. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Sometimes the O ring may get stuck up inside the barrel hanger...should be easy to find if there when you clean the barrel hanger. Regards, Ed

17. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I used to manage an IT department for a municipal government back in the 1970's. A "Help Desk" was a somewhat new concept back then and we did not have the staff for one anyway. As a result, I often went to a user department when they had a problem. More than a few printer problems were solved by simply plugging the printer into a wall socket. After plugging the printer into the electrical outlet and seeing the printer come to life, I would often hear something that sounded like "duh".

IMO, the first place you should check for a cycling problem in an 1100 is the O ring. I am going to add a second "O" ring to one of my 1100's just to see what happens.

Thanke Brian for the comment on alignment of the expansion cracks in the gas rings. You never know what might help.

Ed Ward

18. revbook

revbook Member

The follower is that little orange/red looking plastic thingie in the loading tube. If it's worn or abraded it can hang up.

19. rebelpenn

rebelpenn Member

When cleaning it is a good idea to polish the chamber sometimes, especially if there is a cycling problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shotgun wont cycle 1oz loads