1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 with Briley Choke Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by UpNorthMN, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

I am looking at a used 1100 field gun with a Briley Choke in it. I would expect that a choke system should provide a relatively flush finish where the choke meets the inside of the barrel. In this gun there is a ridge where the barrel meets the choke. In other words, the barrel is tighter than the choke, so it opens a bit as soon as the choke begins. Is this normal?

I do not have a choke tool to even verify it is a Briley.

Thanks for the input.

2. Classic Trap

Classic Trap TS Member

A ridge ? My first thought is put the gun down and step away. I have Briley chokes in both my 1100s and 391s. These are not custom chokes made specifically for the barrels but over the counter chokes. In my barrels, I can see where choke and barrel meet but see no "ridge." Is there any chance you can have the inside of the barrel and choke measured? Perhaps a call to Briley and ask if this it's OK. Others may know more. Best of luck!

3. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

The way you describe it is normal. If the ridge was the other way around, the barrel being larger than the beginning of choke, you would have a dangerous situation. I have a Perazzi with Wright Choke Tubes and an 1100 with Baker tubes. Both have the ridge as you describe yours. The ridge(s) in mine are approx .005". Marc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.