1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 vs. 391 vs. Browning 20 ga. autos

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OldGoat, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Interesting, the latest Gun Test magazine gave the Beretta 391 20 ga. a grade of "F"...while the 1100 and Browning fared much better. Best Regards, Ed

2. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Maybe "F" stands for fantastic!

3. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Ed, are you refering to a target gun, target/field version or field use gun? I havn't read any test yet but, I've started my search for 20 ga. auto recently. My plan is to use it primarily for some informal skeet and sporting clays targets but, want the ability to take it afield if I choose to. Beretta has only a few offerings that I've found, I was surpised to see that. The Benelli's fit me to the tee, M2, Super 90, Legacy, Super Sports, and some other high end I can't remember the name of right now. Can't help but lean toward buying one. In my search I havn't found many Brownings. The Browning Silver I saw was nice but, didn't act fast enough on it. Was gone on my second look at it. Then the Remingtons.......Deep down inside I love them for hunting. I own quite a few 1100, 11-87, and 870 Wingmasters. I still use my favorite ones every hunting season. Would recomend one to a new shooter or someone who didn't want to lay out big $$$$. The 1100 now days only exist in a Premier Sporting 12 & 20, Sporting 12, 28, & .410 and the G3 12 & 20 versions which is getting/got dumped by Remington. Not because of quality issue they claim because of low interest in it. I've seen the prices coming down on them. I think all three have some good quality points and selling points. I would think fit is the most important thing in getting what is best.

4. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

Maybe those test reports similar to news media surveys on
    Mr Obama approval.

Doyal

5. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

Just fYI - The club where I shoot the most, has or has had them all as rental guns. In talking with the gunsmith who cleans & repairs the rentals from the time they're new in the box to after 3+ years as rentals and he'll tell you flat out "the 391 is the best semi-auto on the market today!" "if it's too pricey for you, then go with the 1100. The benelli's ok but for the money, buy the Beretta". He advised not in so many words to skip the rest.

I wasn't a big fan of the 391 at first, but after seeing the use and abuse those guns take and how well they function with an "occasional" cleaning and no new parts to date on any of them, I'm sold! I'm not recoil sensative however I do know a really soft shooting gun when I shoot one and the 391 is it as well, hands down!

Good Luck and shoot well,
    Tom

6. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Giving the 391 an "F" grade is just too absurd. Reasonable folks can disagree, but an "F"?! Did they have any sort of rationale for that? Seems to me that says more about the integrity of Gun Test than the merits of the reviewed shotguns.

7. OldGoat

Spanky & fritzi93, The 20 ga. tested guns are the Remington 1100 Premier Sporting and the Beretta AL 391 Urika 2 Gold. Apparently, the Beretta had several malfunctions with common ammo (Winchester) and more than 6 attempts to contact Beretta customer service were unsuccessful; hence, the poor grade. Hey, I know Beretta has a lot of fans on TS.com, but this example sure underscores a very common complaint on TS.com about poor Beretta customer service experiences. The Remington got a grade of "B+" and its quality fit and finish are noted. The Browning Silver Hunter 20 got an "A". Best Regards, Ed

8. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Spanky, if you cant find a browningto shoot for sporting clays skeet and to take to the field u must not be looking hard enough lol. I would suggest a browning a5. They are great guns and last a lifetime.

9. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Just sayin'. [wink]

A new, not very knowledgeable shooter looking to buy might get the wrong impression from that review.

Look, there are a helluva lot of 391s out there giving good service. On that basis alone I'd say it's dumb. So most likely the gun wasn't broken in and didn't like one brand of ammo. Beretta service didn't kiss their butts? Big surprise. At worst there was a rare lemon, it happens.

Not many years ago, I got a Benelli Montefeltro 20 ga. Out of the box, it too didn't fully cycle Federals, although AA and STS were no problem. It would cycle but not go fully into battery, I think it was the thickness of the rims. At any rate, the problem went away on its own. As to service, Benelli service is pretty poor too. (They once refused any help at all when my new M-1 was missing the magazine plug, had to buy one, long story).

So, does the Benelli Montefeltro deserve an "F" as well? No, and I wish I still had it, sweet gun.

To me, an "F" would be deserved with a newly introduced model that repeatedly and severely malfunctioned, maybe even broke parts. And a second example of the same model also failed.

As to the other guns mentioned, the 1100 is obviously a decent gun too, dunno about the Browning.

You may think I'm a 391 fanatic. Not so, I have one (12 ga. 391 Trap) but it's not even a backup gun for me. I still use it occasionally for pheasant hunts. Nevertheless, it's a good, reliable gun.

Sorry, I still think their rating is absurd.

10. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Tus, no s#!t in my area I'm having a hell of a time finding a Browning 20 gauge autoloader. Hard to believe but true.

11. tj303

tj303 Member

Having owned both a 1100 and a 391 in 20g I would vote for the 391 as the better gun.

12. buddy123

buddy123 Guest

I am also looking for a 20 gauge auto "back up " for upland hunting.All my guns have tang type safeties.Does anyone know if there is or ever has been a 20 gauge autoloader made with a tang safety? I may have to settle on a Browning pump (has tang safety) rather than an autoloader.
    Any assistance will be appreciated.
    Pete

13. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

My household has a slew of 391's, an odd Benelli or two, and an ever smaller collection of Remingtons. I have had/shot the heck out of all of them.

Beretta 391 parallel target - best overall 12 bore value on the market - bar none.

Benelli SBE - Best hunting 12 bore.

Beretta Xtrema-2 - Best 3 1/2 inch shooting 12 bore (kick-off system and overbored barrel combine to make shooting 3 1/2's easy)

Remingtons - for sale....

Just my $.02.

Joe

14. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

several years ago I bought an LT 20 gauge Remington 1100 for quail hunting and sporting clays. It always performed flawlessly with my target loads and my heavy pheasant reloads. It was a joy to carry and shoot. My older 1100 that I bought in 1977 used for $230 with two barrels was used up until now for all of my trapshooting and hunting. I had to replace the operating handle detent spring and forearm support in all of those years. About 9 bucks worth of parts. I don't think you can beat those guns for shootability and value.

15. OldGoat

I agree that one test in one magazine is not the "final" word. We can all probably agree that 391s, 1100s, Brownings, Benellis are all good guns and it kinda comes down to a Ford vs. Chevy vs. Chrysler/Dodge vs. Jeep sort of thing....or 7 1/2s vs. 8s...or blondes vs. redheads vs. brunettes. "You pays your money and you makes your choice." Best Regards, Ed

16. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Hard to beat John Browning's original, the A-5. The Light 20 either Belgian or Japanese is a nice little field gun and not bad for an occasional skeet or sporting outing.

17. markostrunk

markostrunk Member

While not concerned with the 20 gauge, it is pretty clear which gas gun work correctly when you look at the sporting clays market. At major shoots the 391 is by far the most popular auto. This includes the many Master class shooters who shoot autos. It's not even close. 1100s are nice to shoot, but fragile and you have to carry parts out onto the course with you. The Browning Golds have proven unreliable (firing pins and other issues). That's why they are being replaced with the new Maxus- yet another try on Browning's part to make a successful gas auto. Benellis are no more reliable than the 391s and have unacceptable recoil for clay shooting.

In Argentina, the most popular outfitter's dove gun is the 391 followed by the Benelli. I've never seen a Browning Gold/Silver or 1100 down there in constant use as a house gun.

If you don't shoot much, any auto will be fine. But if you shoot a lot, it makes sense to look at what the other high volume shooters use- 391.

18. frank t

frank t TS Member

I read the article. The reason it got an F was because it would not function with a certain brand of ammo. They were 1 0z dove loads. The same loads functioned in the other two guns with no problems. The good thing about gun tests is that they tell it like it is and do not act as cheerleaders when products dont work the way they are supposed to. Maybe it was this particular gun, but they reported what happened and if a gun wont function it deserves an F.

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I'm a die hard 1100 and 1187 fan, or maybe fanatic is more like that.<br>
    <br>
    Having said that, anyone who gives the 391 a grade of F is full of two other letters of the alphabet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta 391 urika vs browning gold

beretta 391 vs browning
browning 20 ga autos
browning gold 20 gauge reviews

browning silver hunter 20 ga

browning silver hunter 20 gauge review

remington 1100 vs browning gold

remington 1100 vs browning silver