1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 vs 1187 Stocks

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MikeInNPR, Feb 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

1100 vs 1187 Stock and Forearms.

Please tell me if they are interchangable. If not, what is the difference?

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    As a general rule, no, they do not interchange.

That doesn't mean some people have not done it.

The 1187 has a compensating gas system for shooting either light or heavy loads. This consists of two gas discharge ports on the "barrel hanger" (properly called the gas chamber). These two ports have a flat spring over them which lifts off when gas reaches a certain pressure. Because of this spring, and the discharging gas, and because of a sheetmetal shield to protect the wood from the gas, an 1100 forend will not fit on an 1187.

Going the other way, sometimes an 1187 forend will fit on an 1100 if the sheetmetal gas shield is removed. However, the 1100 has a different method of retaining the magazine tube cap, using a detent ball. The only effective way to hold on an 1100 cap with an 1187 forend would be to use a rubber o-ring like a lock washer. Some have claimed success with this, other found it didn't work for them.

On top of all that, there are two other exceptions. Late model 1100s actually use the 1187 magazine cap retention system, so they have a better chance of working properly.

And the factory synthetic 1100 forends will fit and work on either the 1100 or 1187. However, the 1187 version of the same synthetic forend lacks the detent ball, and won't work on an 1100 without the use of an o-ring.

Then there's the issue of light contour vs standard contour barrels. A light contour barrel will fit in the barrel channel of either a light contour or standard contour forend. A standard contour barrel will not fit in a light contour forend, unless you remove a fair amount of wood.

Bottom line is, it MIGHT be possible to swap forends, but given the drawbacks, it's best to use the proper forend.

3. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

The buttstocks interchange all day. The fore stock may be a little different, but going from a Light Contour barrel to a regular weight barrel won't work on the fore stock. I believe you could go the other way tho. Checkering is different between 1100 & 1187 too.

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I recently put a factory 11-87 camo Monte Carlo stock and forend set on my ~10 year-old 1100 synthetic field gun. The buttstock went on perfectly but the forend's barrel channel needed to be opened up .030". My gun already had the detent ball system.

Ed

5. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1100 forend 1187