1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 vs 1100 "G3" is it worth the price?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Steve-CT, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

1100 vs 1100

Has anyone shot an 1100 "G3" extensively? I'm talking about thousands of rounds.

I'm interested to know if the plating and honing of the 1100 G3 makes a difference and if it works longer than the standard 1100 I've been shooting for 26 years?

The ads sound good.

Is it really worth it?

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    1100 vs 1100

I'm scratching my head over the G-3. It sounds more like it's a modified 1187 than an 1100, but I haven't seen the "pressure compensated gas system" in person to compare it to the 1100 or 1187, and Remington does not have exploded parts view or photos of it with the forend removed on their website.<br>
    <br>
    In functionality, it sounds more like an upgraded 1187, but regardless, it has "improvements" in several areas.<br>
    <br>
    It sounds like it's put together with more care than most 1100's or 1187's have been getting in the last few years. I'm dubious about the need to teflon coat any internal parts. The idea behind the design was to make it loose enough so as not to require lubrication oil - just a thin film to prevent rust. The problem is the insides started getting rougher and rougher. If they were made to the same quality as older guns up through the early 1990's, they would be nearly glass smooth in the first place.<br>
    <br>
    It has special coating to prevent rust in the field. This may be of value to someone who wants a traditional looking finish in an all weather gun. Myself, I would opt for a fully camo'd model for all weather.<br>
    <br>
    The most important difference is that the barrel has been overbored. Not backbored, but overbored ("Pro-Bore"). This barrel takes Pro-Bore chokes - Rem Chokes will not fit it. If you believe that an overbored barrel reduces recoil and improves patterning, then this is an attractive option. If you don't believe it, then you're better off with a less expensive 1100 or 1187.<br>
    <br>
    I don't know if other barrels, be they 1100 or 1187, will interchange, because I haven't seen the gas system. You'd better like the gun as it comes, pretty much.<br>
    <br>
    As for how long it will last, without seeing the gas system, I won't venture to guess.

3. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

1100 vs 1100

Thanks Brian,

For now I think I will pass on the "G3". A lot of money and I have found that polishing and lubricating moving parts and contact surfaces on 1100s extends part life

4. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

1100 vs 1100

It's a high dollar field gun.

5. gotbass

gotbass Member

1100 vs 1100

Isn't the G3 a bottom ejector? If you reload that pretty much takes it off the list.

6. BudLight

BudLight Member

1100 vs 1100

G3

7. FPBristol

FPBristol TS Member

1100 vs 1100

I talked with the Remington reps at the Grand last summer and basically what I gathered was that the G-3 is a field gun that has the refinments of the 1100 Competition. Not wanting a field gun I will not purchase a G-3. I do however have a Competition that I have shot several thousand rounds through. Actually to be totally correct I must admit that I have replaced the barrel with an older fixed choke, step rib trap barrel, and I have custom wood from Wenig that I completed to fit me. The action is very smooth and I have never had one feeding problem when shooting doubles. I think that the coated and fitted internals are an improvement, but not earthshattering. The point that they were originally finished better is well taken. I have several older 1100's that have been shot very little, in particular a D-Grade and an F-Grade that are as smooth and appear to function as well as the Competition, however, I will not know for sure as I have no intention of shooting that many rounds through either of these guns.

8. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

1100 vs 1100

gotbass:

No. you're thinking of the 105 CTi (Jan 2005, Carbon Titanium). Totally different animal.

I've come to the conclusion to pass on the "G3" 1100. I was mainly interested in the durbaility factor for the small internal parts due to the coatings.

I think I'm doing fine with polishing burrs as needed and lubricating accordingly and my proven system of parts rotation. For the price of a "G3" I can buy four or five, used field grade 1100s that have seen little use!

I have seen the "competition" 1100 and must admit, I am not a fan. It has a really thick barrel and has overdone it in terms of front heaviness.

I'll stick with my 1960s-1980s DuPont era tuna fish cans. They seem to work for me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1100 vs g3

will a 1100 g3 barrelfit a 1100