1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 troubleshooting ??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by turmite, Jul 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turmite

turmite Member

My grandson has a step barrel for a 1100 that is not ejecting correctly, and many time not at all. I need some advice on where to start looking.

Using a variety of ammo, and two barrels, we know for sure it is the step barrel.

When we tested the step barrel it function perfectly for around 10 rounds then would fail to eject. It would extract, but not eject. I checked the barrel before installing to see if it needed cleaning and it was spotless, as opposed to the regular vent rib barrel that is so very dirty, yet still works every time.

The step barrel does have the "lug" for lack of a better word, that drops the empty at the shooters feet, out about 12" to the right. When it worked, all the empties were within an 18" circle.

Where do I look first?

Mike

2. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I know you said the barrel was clean but does that include the gas ports. I recently had one of the ports to stop up with powder residue and gun would not eject shells completely. Jackie B.

3. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Clean out the gas ports!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim

4. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

Check the two gas rings make sure thay are not cracked or missing piece of the ring also check the rubber oring is not hard and it is flexable and you can row it in your fingers and if not it needs to be replaced then check the gas ports in the barrle are free of carbon and the holes are open.the other thing if the gun has a lot of shell through it that chamber is loose and letting gas to blow by the shell and not have enough gas pressure at the gas ports to fully cycle the action.

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

gas ports and double check your rings.

6. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Good luck. I have two 1100 barrels. Same gun. One works great. The other less so. It's not the ports. Clean and open in both.

7. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Buy a Beretta and be done with it ... I'll give ya $200 for Remington and both barrels.

8. turmite

turmite Member

Nice try Newb, but don't you shoot a 1100 as well, or did you give up and go get the Beretta? I know you had some sort of problem as well.

Thanks to the rest of you that offered advice as well, and a lot less expensive than newb's.

Mr skeet410 has this pegged in that it is the same gun, different barrels. If it were the rings, shouldn't it happen on both barrels. Visually, the ports are as clean on one as they are on the other, but I will run a probe down them today to double check.

Assuming it is not the ports, or the rings, where would I look next? Could it possibly be the little pin that throws the shells downward? If so, what can be done to check it and fix it should that be the problem.

Mike

9. Eric Mirosavich

Eric Mirosavich Member

It may sound stupid, but check and make sure theres not an extra ring or set of rings in the barrel lug. I switch 1100 barrels b/w guns quite frequently and left a ring inside a step ribs lug once. I couldnt figure it out, when I put the step rib on a gun, it wouldnt cycle (it had an extra ring stuck inside), but when I put the hastings on, it cycled fine. Sounds kinda dumb, but it can happen and its sorta hard to see if you arent looking for it.

10. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

It aint the pin ... is it an old receiver and new barrel or an old barrel and new receiver?

11. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Mike aka turmite - It's got me baffled. Only thing is the barrel that works has been shot more on about a 500 to 1 ratio and the inside of the 'gas chamber' is smooth as a baby's... The other barrel has some residual machining marks. If I shot that barrel more, I'd considers seeing if a gunsmith thought it smart to buff those out.

BTW - The gas ports on both barrels (2 in both) are the same size.

12. furface

furface Member

Mike, put some Breakfree on the mag tube and in the gas chamber and see if functions.Is the gas pistons new style or the old two piece ones? The new style really grabs on the mag tube. Good luck, Joe B.

13. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

At the risk of being offensive, most 1100,s do have "trouble shooting". Tongue in cheek. Gas ports, if only the 1 bbl. also could be an altered bbl. I never have owned a 1100 or 1184 that consistently would shoot doubles.

14. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I shoot my 11-87's several days every week without any trouble. They are not a gun you can put away and neglect after shooting several rounds. But if you will take the 5 minutes to wipe them down after shooting they are very reliable guns. I have shot Benellis and Berettas and much prefer my Remingtons to any of them. Beretta autos feel the most awkward to me. Benellis are too light and kick too hard.

15. turmite

turmite Member

Well, I am sure this is a newer gun although it was bought used. The original barrel functions flawlessly, it just ejects about 3-4 feet to the right. If I told you guys how many shots have been down the barrel since I cleaned, you would shoot me! I'll tell you this. I am going to have to soak the choke to clean it!

With that said, it still functions right every time. I don't know if the step barrel is an older barrel or not. Would that possibly make a difference?

Joe B you mentioned the new style piston grabbing. Is this something that might be worse if used on an older barrel?

Mike

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

So try the "bad" barrel on another gun.

Or some 3 dram loads. or even the cheapie 3 & 1/4 one once. They fly about a block out of my 1100.

HM

17. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Why dont we start with what barrels you have, is the new barrel for a 1187. Is it a newer barrel?

18. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

install the original working barrel, take a good look as to how it seats. Then install the non working barrel really watch how that seats. Something tells me something aint sitting right.

19. turmite

turmite Member

Thanks for the input guys. Let me re-do this in a little more detail. Some months ago I posted a thread about wanting to upgrade the barrel on my grandson's 1100 to a true trap barrel. Long story short, a gentleman from this board contacted me and offered me a really good deal on the barrel. He shipped it to me for examination and we began to converse via phone. This is a 1100 Target barrel with a step rib measuring 28" long. It is not a new barrel, but upon examination of the two barrels side by side, they are the same barrels except the step rib.

I stated in my first post that this step barrel worked correctly for around 10 shots, but then began to not eject. Based on suggestions here, I have verified that the gas ports are open on both barrels. There is no o ring in either barrel that keeps it from seating. I have seated both barrels and measured the difference from the end of the mag tube and the step barrel seats about 20-30 thou deeper than the original barrel that came with the gun. I am currently cleaning both barrels, chokes and will clean the gun later today, which brings me to my next question.

Would it be possible that the gun being dirty would be enough to cause this on one barrel but not the other? If anything, the step barrel seems to seat a little tighter on the gun than the original, but that may be a hoodoo thing because I am straing to find an answer.

Mike

20. bjav

bjav TS Member

check to see if someone has been fileing on the ejector on the barrel stub qnd be sure to run it wet. BOB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.