1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 Trap Mods

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 1moreround, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1moreround

1moreround TS Member

-
    I'm interested in attempting to build up an older 1100 trap, with a higher stock and rib height with roughly a 70/30 or 80/20 pattern.

Although the factory monte carlo dimensions are ok, I'm thinking I'd like it better if I had my head and neck in a more upright postion (I have a longer than average neck)

I'm aware, (before anyone reminds me) that I'll never get the money back out of it, but the only thing I'm hoping at this point that I'll need, other than body shop and misc supplies, will be to have the barrel work done ( Eller)

Please keep in mind, this is my first, and maybe my last attempt, but I'd like to try it...

I had thought of using bondo on the stock, build up comb area and also change to a slightly longer radius on the pistol grip, palm swell, and add a experimental balsa wood rib to see what I like and poi , then have something made close to that, from someone like Dave Berlet....

I am not sure if bondo is the right material for the job ??

What are some of your experienced thoughts on this project, also what have you guys seen or done to soup them up??

Experienced thoughts appreciated

2. 1moreround

1moreround TS Member

I've seen those stocks, but I'm not a real fan of composites

3. turmite

turmite Member

You mean like this one?

[​IMG]

Mike

4. 1moreround

1moreround TS Member

lol, if that is a composite, that looks really nice! I might be able to work with that

5. 1moreround

1moreround TS Member

Someone had mentioned that Ed clapper had done qan article about tricks to do with the 1100 some time ago, but I can't find any info on it. Does anyone have an email for Ed ?? Thank you

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I did some "bondo" build up on my 870 stock. not to bad for small changes. If I where you find a old used stock and try with that

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Why not find an older fixed choke Trap barrel? Shoot it before you spend hundreds on working it. It may be all you want.

Look at the site above. You may find what you want there.

8. turmite

turmite Member

"lol, if that is a composite, that looks really nice! I might be able to work with that"

No composite here. This stock is done just like you suggested in your original post. There's probably 6 different kinds of wood, some screws, wood glue and a minimal amount of body filler. I did this one for my grandson so I could make as many changes as necessary to get the fit right. I would only recommend this for a temporary fix though. Use this method to get the stock to fit you like you want, shoot it a while, and then have someone make you a nice stock using your creation as a pattern.

I will likely change this a time or two before I make one for my grandson out of some nice wood.

Mike

9. jrton80

jrton80 Member

ou may want to read the thread that I answered to a while back on using a plexiglas type product at the above link or below:(I think this should work)

http://www.trapshooters.com/webtv/cfpages/sthread.cfm?ThreadID=162255

If you have questions let me know. Jeff

10. 1moreround

1moreround TS Member

Some great ideas out there!! I do have a few 30" rem trap barrels that I use now, but thought the pattern core could be tightened up by having it done by Kerry Eller or someone or his caliber...Always nice to see that ink ball!!

Have any of you, while changing the dimensions of a stock ever made a reference jig to recheck your starting point....Just an idea I had...

I do have an old field stock that was going to be the ginny-pig for the build up...I had thought of using a mars-glass (finely cut fiberglass mat and resin)type material for strength and durability, but it wouldn't be as easy to remove as say bondo..

I will look at the plexiglass type product website as jrton80 has suggested to see what that all about....Keep your thoughts coming...

Any photos are greatly appreciated....

11. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Can't think of the name of it now but the stuff they sell in a roll that the outside is one part and inside is the catalyist. You cut off a chunk and knead it together until it mixes into a putty works really well. It is much easier than body putty or filler. It gets pretty warm and sets up hard pretty quick but you have enough time to work with it. It sticks real good, down side is it's more expensive.

12. 1moreround

1moreround TS Member

"Can't think of the name of it now but the stuff they sell in a roll that the outside is one part and inside is the catalyist. You cut off a chunk and knead it together until it mixes into a putty works really well. It is much easier than body putty or filler. It gets pretty warm and sets up hard pretty quick but you have enough time to work with it. It sticks real good, down side is it's more expensive."

Almost sounds like gas tank epoxy...

13. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I believe the ccw is refering to kneedtite. There was a thread on this site a while back about this stuff. It's easy to use and finishes out great.

ec90t

14. 1moreround

1moreround TS Member

I'm not sure if we can even buy that stuff up here, as I've never heard of it before...It might though just be the ticket as I'm not sure that bondo will stand up to the abuse from the constant recoil and shock....

15. tonygrz

tonygrz TS Member

Isn't it the stuff that they sell on TV commercials that can mend all types of stuff and you can even mold it to different shapes like coffee cup handles. If it's the same thing, look for it on TV infomercials or regular commericals. I think it sells for six tubes for $20. I haven't ordered any nor tried it out.

Tony Garza

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Billy Mays does the commercials. It's called "Mighty Putty". He's the obnoxious load mouth with the beard. Stuff is probably garbage. Bono would probably be just as easy, if not better to work with and it's time tested in NY Taxis. There are Epoxy Putty kits available for a lot less money. Check WalMart or the local Hardware stores. I'd like to see them use some on his mouth. If it worked I'd throw down $20 bucks plus $8 shipping to see that, otherwise it's a rip-off.

I'd rather take a MonteCarlo stock and send it to Tron and have him do the comb. I'm sure you can have a rib done somewhere. Keensights has some add-on ribs, but I'm not sure how high they can be made. The Hastings barrel is taller, but probably not close to what you want.

17. 1moreround

1moreround TS Member

Hi folks, it Billy Mays!! lol, just kiddin...Yes that guy is very annoying...

Any photos of hopped up 1100's that anyone might have stored on the computer??

18. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

This putty works well, I used it to build up the palmswell and grip area on my PFS. I ended up with a custom fingergrip also. One advantage over bondo. It will not sag, It is not the easiest to work with. I had to kneed it for a good time before it was soft. It also gives you a good working window time. I have not yet the time to finish my upgrade. needs to be sanded and blended to fit in with the grip. I used bondo on a 870 field stock, it got everywhere. and can not be applied to thick or it will crack/shrink. I think a wenig new american semi inleted maybe a easier route.

19. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

PS if you really want to tinker, find a used hunting gun 1100. thats a bit rough but functional. And play play play. endless things to do for the basement budget mods. I found it easier to find a gun with the things I wanted. NOTE I figured out what I wanted by messing around with basement bargin mods.

20. 682b

682b Member

Well you might consider buying a cheep piece of wood that may have a fault in it that can't be used for a o/u action gun for 50 or 60 dollars then have Donnie Grimes cut it for you. Just give him your dimensions and he will fix you up. He can also leave you as much wood as you might need. He will work with you and make you happy. 1-660-438-4568 Get a good trigger with out a bit of creep and a fairly light break. You can find a good alloy Speedlock or a Timney at a fair price. This is the only part of you project that you will recover all your money back. I won't talk about barrel work. I have spent a lot of money on things I thought I wanted and did not need. Go for it, it is only a small amount of money compared to a new gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.