1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 trap conversion question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by milkmaster, Dec 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milkmaster

milkmaster TS Member

1100 conversion to trap gun question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the scenario...

I have a 12ga 1100 Classic Trap that already shoots a bit high like you might expect that model to do. (great gun btw) It has the Monte Carlo stock etc.

I also have a 12ga field model 1100 that is chambered for 2 3/4" only that I would like to set up for trap. Expectedly, the field gun does NOT shoot high as the trap gun does. Both guns pattern beautifully.

The barrels for each are identical when it comes to rib height etc. on the outside. The receiver is identical in that all parts appear the same and will even interchange.

Question: Are the aiming points to the two above guns the same other than the fit and length of pull changes presented to the shooter by the Monte Carlo stock on the Trap Classic? I want to know if simply changing the field stock to one identical to my Classic Trap will make it shoot similar, or are there other differences I cannot see with the naked eye?

Milkmaster
    Murfreesboro, TN

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I think the stock is the only thing different. I know the recievers are the same, but the barrels could be different as to rib height.

3. lumper

lumper TS Member

The stock should be the only difference other than the trap gun (if it has a trap barrel) might have a knock down stubby pin in the opening where the field barrel would not but ... other than that the only difference is the stock.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Take the stock off your trap gun and put it on the field gun. See if it shoots like a trap gun should.

Usually a trap barrel and a field barrel are different. Measure the height of the rib by the front sight. And measure the height of the rib at its highest point above the barrel. HMB

5. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

No guarentees that anything is really interchangable. But I'd try it and see how it shoots.

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Change stocks around, swap barrels see what changes what.

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Have the comb modified to straight, adding adjustable hardware.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I don't think so. HMB

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Late model 1100's, including the Classic Trap, use the 1187 bolt. This is for the entire 1100 line, not a specific model.

The only time this is a problem is when SOME early barrels are put onto late model actions using the 1187 bolt.

The solution is very simple - wide the slight slightly with a file to accomodate the wider extractor. Generally both sides of the slot are widened evenly, but check the indexing to make sure.

10. FPBristol

FPBristol TS Member

Yes, changing your field stock to a monte carlo or altering it to become an adjustable comb will make it shoot the same as your classic once you have the right comb hight. All parts are interchangable and its true you might have to open the extractor slot if you put an old barrel on a new receiver and bolt. Not a problem as it is a minimal amount of metal to be removed. I have eleven 1100's and frankly I cannot remember which barrel goes with which gun originally. Four or five of them I have restocked with the Wenig New American stock and they are all setup to the very same POI or so close I can't tell the difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.