1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 trap barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dagnarble, Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dagnarble

dagnarble TS Member

I just came into an 1100 trap gun and have a couple of questions. I got three barrels with the gun one of which is marked "trap mod" and has a step rib and the small tit on the barrel to deflect casings. The next barrel has two beads one brass and a front ivory it too has the small tit, but is not stepped. The venting on this barrel comes right back to the point where it butts to the receiver. The third barrel also has the two bead setup but no tit and the first 5 inches of the vent rib at the receiver end is solid. SSOOOO do I have two trap barrels and one field or just one trap barrel and one field?? AND how come the vent ribs are different (age??) Thanks for any help

2. shrek

shrek Active Member

Some of the old barrels had the solid rib for the back 5 inches.

Also Remington made step ribbed barrels only for a short time, that barrel may also be factory overbored, and the factory overbored ones were the best ones Remington ever produced.

The two barrels with the small shell deflectors were either set up by the factory or done by a gun smith to deflect the empty hulls away from the next shooter, so I guess you could say that they are trap barrels.

The other barrel could still easily be used for trap, and if you use a T&S shell catcher or some other similar item when shooting singles the neighboring shooter won't be hit.

The other thing to try to find out is if the chokes have been opened up and or how they pattern, and that will tell you which ones are going to work best for you.

3. Rem 1100

Rem 1100 Member

I also have two Remington 870 tb's that are original early 60's manufacture where 5" of the rib twards the chamber is solid.I allways wondered why. they both are stellar performers!

Chuck H

4. shrek

shrek Active Member

I bought a used 870 barrel a few years ago that has the solid rib at the back end of it and learned that it was an early version from a wiley ol' veteran.

Another interesting thing that I learned at that time was to make sure you measure the fixed choke barrels.

I have 5 fixed choke barrels for 870's, 1100's will have the same considerations.

Anyway all but one of them had the bore at .735 and the ones marked mod were all .015 constriction and the fulls were .040. I had one of the mods opened up to .008 for skeet and shooting birds with pointing dogs. One of the fulls I had opened up to .030 and one of them was marked improved mod, but upon measuring it had .035 of constriction.

So you never know what you have until you measure and shoot and look at patterns.

5. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

always check them with a bore mike.....I have an 1100 step rib that is factory stamped "mod".....it is actually one of the factory overbored barrels, .745 bore and .038 fixed choke.....go figure!!

Ken Rucker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1100 trap barrel

stepped rib trap barrel mod

trapbarrelsfor1100