1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 Timney Trigger Information Request

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by LukeG, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LukeG

LukeG Member

I'm looking for some information about the Timney made triggers for the 1100. From what I have seen they are highly regarded and seem to command a premium when they do come up for sale. Each for sale post I have seen mentions different options and that they were only available xx number of years ago.

Basically I'm looking for some information on the different options that were offered over the years and what exactly they do.

Also, for those of you that own Timney triggers, what do you think of it?

I did contact Wright's about the ones they still have listed on their website, but unfortunately they no longer have any for sale.

http://www.wrightsgunsmiths.com/trigger.htm

Are there any replacement parts available for the Timney triggers and if they need work, who is recommended to work on them?

Sorry if any of this has been covered before, but I searched here and on the search engines and could only find classified posts.

2. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

I have one in my 1100. Chromed by Timney. Or at least he had it done. It was one of a small batch of chromed triggers. About 20 years ago. Stu Wright in Illinois bought all the spare parts from Timney and would be the only smith I know who could provide Timney parts. Give him a call.

3. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

The only Timney's that get a premium are the all-steel one's he made.
    The standard 1100 style trigger used is anywhere from $100.00 to $150.00

4. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Perhaps the praise for Timney triggers should be reserved for those triggers that he worked on quite a few years ago (before age and memory problems caught up with him). I bought a release trigger for my Rem 1100 from Mr Timney about 5 or 6 years ago. After returning it to him twice because it did not function properly, I finally asked for and received my money back. Fortunately, Mrs Timney took care of the financial end of the business and I got my money back with no problem.

I'm sure that Mr Timney was a great gunsmith, particularly with trigger work, but I doubt that the trigger I bought from him was the only one that didn't work well. In fact, I've heard of similar experiences from others.

My suggestion is that if you buy a Timney modified trigger, you try it out before making the deal final. Good luck and good shooting.

Easystreet

5. LukeG

LukeG Member

Does anyone have any contact info for Stu Wright in Illinois?

6. Over-the-Hill

Over-the-Hill Member

There's his website. You can go there for contact info.
    OtH

7. soup

soup Member

ttt

8. LukeG

LukeG Member

Got some more info from Stu Wright...

"Every batch of triggers he made he had made improvements on. He changed sears between release triggers and pull triggers, modified speed lock hammers, changed the angle on the release trigger travel plunger etc. No two batch's were the same and different parts needed to go with different modifications.
    Yes I have some of Allen's parts here however I will be using them to service his triggers. Any triggers that come in for repair , we update to his last design when ever possible.
    Allen was never satisfied with anything that worked, he could always make it better.

Stu"

9. furface

furface Member

I have three Timney 1100 triggers, 2 speedlock release's and 1 reg release.
    The adjustment and quality make them rival some of the best triggers I have seen in O/U's. I also own Schwab and Spears whitch are good but not as fast.
    When I shoot doubles with a 1100 I have to go to a Schwab, the Timneys won't work. I hope this helps, good luck. Joe

10. den1100

den1100 Member

11. dubois

dubois Member

Would it be possible to get a copy of the Timney instructions that you have?

Steve Trent

12. den1100

den1100 Member

Thats a photograph that I found online. Save it and blow it up as large as you can. It might take a bit, but you should be able to ,ake out all the print.

13. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I had a friend send him a 1100 trigger assy to install a release, several weeks went by, he called Timney and asked about the trigger, Timney said in a week you will have it, well that turned into a month, he called back again and asked where his trigger was, I have it ready to ship, he recieved his trigger and several days later another trigger and several days later another trigger arrived, he being an honest man sent the other two back to him and told him I had recieved my trigger, don't need these other 2.

Alzheimers had set in, in his later years, when he was at the grand in the 70s and 80s his wife was there with him, and he did his work there or took it with him and sent it back to you.

He was a great trigger man.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.