1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 stock removal

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jbifulco, Jun 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbifulco

jbifulco Member

I am in need of some help. I did the search and read all of the threads, lots of good stuff by the way, but i still can't remove my 1100 stock. I purchased the butt stock bit from Brownells, and squirted a ton of penetrating oil onto the nut but it won't budge.

I bought this gun used a week ago. It is an 1100 trap that was manufactured in the early eighties. It is working fine but sooner or later I am going to have to get at the action spring.

Any and all ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

2. reddottm1

reddottm1 Member

Take a tire tool you can get that darn thing off...........

3. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

The tool you have from Brownells is far better than a tire tool. Tire tools and big screwdrivers are really great.....for slipping out of the slot and breaking your stock!! The socket you have is a 3/8 drive. Get a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter and a long 1/2" ratchet. Hold the stock in a padded vise and remove the nut. I've removed many that customers swore would not budge like this.

Ken Rucker...Speedbump Stockworks

4. jbifulco

jbifulco Member

Thanks Ken. I guess I'm not putting enough pressure on the ratchet. It feels like the ratchet extension is going to break. I am using a 3/8 drive ratchet.

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

If you have something that can warm it up a little, that will often help. I'm not recommending you use a propane torch, with the stock still on there, mind you.

If you had an old heating pad you "disassemble." You could wrap the heating wires tight around the nut, and just get it as hot as you could, sometimes heat will loosen things up.

6. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Took an old 1/2" drag link bit (looks like a screw driver tip)..did a little grinding to make it straight sided & use it on a 1/2" speed wrench..Fits the stock hole exactly and the stock nut just right. Never fails! Won't slip out to break a stock and puts the torque where its needed.

Big Jack

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Sometimes it is helpful to put as much pressure as you can and then gently tap the driver. It may take two people to do this. Stay away from the penetrating oil. It will make the slot slick and will soak into the wood long before it gets to the threads.

Pat Ireland

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Be careful how moch force you use. You can snap the action spring tube off the receiver. Previous owner of the gun might have loctited the treaded cap on. You need to get some heat on the cap. You could try using a long soldering iron. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1100 stock removal