1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 stock loose

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dan2116, Sep 10, 2013.

1. dan2116

dan2116 Member

I have a Remington 1100 field 12ga with the stock that will not tighten up solid. I put a plastic washer ahead of the stock nut and helped quite a bit but not tight. Am I headed in the right direction with the washer and need to put another ahead of the stock nut.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Keep adding washers until it tightens up. HMB

3. 333t

333t Member

Make sure the stock bearing plate next to the receiver is there.

4. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

The lock washer that goes on the stock bolt might be missing

5. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

Make sure the flat washer then the lock washer go on before the nut.
    Is it a wood stock or a plastic stock?

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Should go:

Receiver, Bearing Plate, Stock, flat washer, split washer, nut.

If you don't have all those pieces in there, replace what's missing first. Never had an 1100 that wouldn't tighten properly with all the correct parts in place.

The stock bearing plate MAY be able to be omitted on certain synthetic stocks.

7. dan2116

dan2116 Member

There was no flat or split washer in it so there is my problem. It has the bearing plate though.

8. dan2116

dan2116 Member

Where is the best place to find the washers online.

9. skeet_man

Brownells, Midway, or direct from Remington.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You can get washers that will do the job at your local hardware store. HMB

11. dan2116

dan2116 Member

That is where I am headed first. Rem washers would be around $15-$18 for both + shipping.

12. skeet_man

The problem will be finding one with a large enough ID, but small enough OD. If you find one with a large enough ID, it will probably be too large on the OD to fit in the stock.

You can get both washers shipped to your door from Brownells for under $18 bucks. Seems like a lot for 2 washers, but you'll probably burn that much in time and gas running around town trying to find 2 that fit.

Just pulled out a 1100 stock and measured it. The hole in the butt is just a tiny bit over 1" (maybe by 20 or 30 thou) . Std OD for a 5/8" split washer is 1.073 to 1.080, which will NOT fit the 1100 stock I have here. OD on a std 5/8" flat washer is even larger (smallest I'm seeing is 1 5/16").

Both will likely be thicker than OEM parts as well, meaning you won't get as much bite on the threaded action tube, which will increase the likelihood of damage to it (such as shearing the threads clean off, which will require a new tube be brazed on, and your receiver reblued, which will cost you a lot more than 18 bucks for the correct parts). Depending on your LOP, it may also prevent you from reinstalling the recoil pad if you're right up against the stock nut already.

Post back if you're able to find something at the hardware store that'll work, but I doubt you'll have any luck.

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The flat washer that goes next to the wood is a little more than flat. (Remington part #15498)

It should have a couple of little raised points to grip the wood. The lock washer then goes behind it.

Use the proper tool to tighten the bolt.

[​IMG]

HM

14. dan2116

dan2116 Member

Found flat washer and split washer with the correct O.D. with the I.D. a tiny bit small and was easy to open up. They were metric washers at ACE Hardware. The split washer is thick which does lesson the threads able to use but was aprox. 3/4".

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Hope the stock didn't crack or split while it was being snugged up without the washers.

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Those will work just fine. HMB

Search tags for this page

1100 stock plate washer

how do i tighten rear stock on remington 1100

remington 1100 stock loose

remington loose stock on receiver