1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 Stock Help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by SARGE75X, Oct 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Back in August I bought a rollover stock (actually for a Remington 870) but I was assured it could be used on a 1100 all that need be done was a spacer made and installed. So I gave the receiver and stock to a local guy here(Mike Sulich) and told him what I wanted, it needed a recoil pad fit and the spacer. Well he called today and said there is no way its going to fit as the stock was cored and was 1/4 inch off at the trigger group? So now I have a $350.00 piece of wood that wont work? Anybody else think they can make it a go? Its a beautiful piece and would be awesome on my gun but Mike says no go.

In the mean time I sold my original stock on here and it'll be hard to shoot without a stock.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

"the stock was cored", what does that mean? HMB

3. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

Possibly Cored for a recoil reducer? Now there is no wood to redrill the stock bolt hole to fit an 1100.

4. Tracer

Tracer Member

You might try Joe at "tron_space@yahoo.com. I am buying a stock from him that fits both the 1100 and the 870. He seems pritty knowledgable about the changeover. There are spacers needed for the 1100 application. Good luck. Del

5. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Please post some pictures or e-mail them. It's not an easy job but it can be done. I need to see what the hole looks like and the wood grain.
    Joe

6. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

I'm going to meet with him at a shoot this Sunday and pick up my stuff then I can proceed with pics. I bought the stock from "Captin" off this site and I dont believe for a minute that this stock is bad. Maybe Mike just isnt familiar with the conversion.

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

A few things I learned from recent 1100 870 stock and gun set ups for youth. 1st older 870s had a short bolt/ deeper recess from the butt end, hence the need for about a 2 1/4 inch spacer for fit on the 1100/1187. Newer 870s have a longer bolt approx 10 1/2 inch with a shallower recess in the butt end. Making them interchange. Thats with out anyone modifying them. OK now I bought a remington 870/1100/1187 stock at a gun show. did not check it out to much. When I got it home I realized someone had drilled completely through making the hole the same size through and through. What I did was have a carpenter friend with a longe forstner bit and drilled out to fit a plug then glued it in place redrilled to fit tube. Im not sure if this would hold up to trap shooting. The stock ended up on a field 870. As far as I know Its holding up. Never heard anything about it since I sold it. Sometimes you just have to put the stock/parts/what ever on the coffee table. Let it get to you. You will come up with a solution.

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

ok I just found a old style shorter stock bolt and the newer long style 8 1/4 & 10 1/4. If I remember right the spacer on the stile brand stocks was PVC to fit 1100/1187 ? . Basically slide a long screw driver along inside edge of mounting hole. you should hit a ridge. If you have a older 870 stock it should be about 5 inches deep. newer about 3.

9. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Got a note from the Captin, he says if I can't make a go of it selling it to someone with a 870 shouldnt be a problem. So I might be in the market for a 1100/87 Trap Stock with adjustable comb and length of pull which is what I wanted in the first place. Any suggestions.Not interested in anything plastic.

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

there have been several remington stocks on ebay.

11. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Went to Ace hardware bought a lenth of 1/2" PVC took measurements and cut a bushing 2.75" long installed it with washers and it buttoned right up, solid as a rock. Took it back apart and shipped the stock to Graco for a adjustable recoil pad/butt plate. Thanks to all who answered.
    Bill Sanders

12. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

BTW the carrier for the action spring measured .604 OD and the ID of the PVC was .610, perfect for the application.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.