1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 stock from coming loose all the time

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tripod, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

The butt stocks of my 1100's come loose after a few hundred rounds. Do you think a new lock washer would prevent this? I don't want to lock it up with a chemical that would not let me remove the stock for cleaning, but I would like to remedy the looseness. Thanks, Tripod

2. JLW

JLW TS Member

Just a guess but, are you installing the lock washer on top of a flat washer? If not, the lock washer may be compressing the wood and it shoots loose from recoil.
    I'd not be afraid of using a lock-tite type of thread locker as you can get different grades and they can be easily broke loose.-Jerald

3. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

There should be a flat washer with two teeth next to the wood and a lockwasher between it and the nut. If there isn't a lockwasher there now, you need one. Available from Remington or Brownell's.

Ken Rucker

4. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I will check out the flat washer. I thought I had a flat washer with some protrusions on it, but I am not sure. If I don't I will sure get one. Thanks.

5. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

Locktite red, it wont go anywhere then.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If all the washers are in place and it still comes loose it is possible that you are not getting it tight enough in the first place. Try using a large screw driver with the blade wrapped with masking tape. Wrap around the blade with the tape so it just fits in the stock hole. This will keep the blade centered in screw slot. If it still comes loose put a little nail polish on the threads. HMB

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I use a jack handle, perfect for 1100 stock bolt.

Used to have a small Craftsman drag link socket, but can't find it.

HM

8. B.C.

B.C. Member

Don't use Red lock-tite !

9. DocJim

DocJim Member

10. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

using red loctite on a 1100 stock tube is probably the worst advise i've read on here in a long time!!

If you have all the necessary components, and are tightening the bolt properly, and its still coming loose, you should take it to a gunsmith, as something is wrong. I've never had a bolt come loose prematurely on any of my rem autos.

11. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I will put Kelly Anderson on my BS list.

12. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

One wrap of teflon tape on the threads..It'll hold and can be removed.

Big Jack

13. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Big Jack, I will try that next time. I just finished cleaning the gun and tightening the stock. It did have the flat washer with the two protruding bits of metal under the lock washer. I tightened it as much as I could with a big screwdriver.

14. Robb

Robb Member

Be sure that the protruding bits of metal of flat washer are down to dig into the wood. If not the washer likely will spin when nut is tightened.

15. valmet

valmet TS Supporters TS Supporters

tripod, ditto what big jack said. it works. dennis

16. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

8 F201820
    201820 767-154-420 Action Spring Tube Nut
    Fits $6.84

9 F15498
    15498 767-154-980 Action Spring Tube Nut Washer
    Fits $4.60

10 F15499
    15499 767-154-990 Action Spring Tube Nut Lock Washer
    Fits $4.60

You can still find the proper socket at sears or brownells. Which is more or less a covered slotted socket. It keeps from socket slip. Some day some way you will not be centered or slip and possible crack the stock. Sometimes best to just get a new 1st washer the tips can become worn. Also is its a older gun possible stock is oil soaked. The teeth of the washer have nothing solid to hold onto. further compressing the oil soaked wood. I went to a woodworkers specialty shop BeaverWorks. They had these washers slighty bigger and stainless. Look closely inside your stock. you might see a heavy indent where the waser presses. As far as loctite They make a special lowbond I believe it is green or purple. Go to remington web site and check out the parts section and pictures.

17. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

8 F201820
    201820 767-154-420 Action Spring Tube Nut
    Fits $6.84

9 F15498
    15498 767-154-980 Action Spring Tube Nut Washer
    Fits $4.60

10 F15499
    15499 767-154-990 Action Spring Tube Nut Lock Washer
    Fits $4.60

You can still find the proper socket at sears or brownells. Which is more or less a covered slotted socket. It keeps from socket slip. Some day some way you will not be centered or slip and possible crack the stock. Sometimes best to just get a new 1st washer the tips can become worn. Also is its a older gun possible stock is oil soaked. The teeth of the washer have nothing solid to hold onto. further compressing the oil soaked wood. I went to a woodworkers specialty shop BeaverWorks. They had these washers slighty bigger and stainless. Look closely inside your stock. you might see a heavy indent where the waser presses. As far as loctite They make a special lowbond I believe it is green or purple. Go to remington web site and check out the parts section and pictures.

18. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Ditto what Slugger said. Change the nut to the hex head type and you won't need any Loc-Tite. And do be sure to use the right washer. Good luck.

LA

19. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

A dab of nail polish will hold it.

20. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

A wood cutting spade bit works great. Don't grind the point off because it keeps the blade centered. To tighten use an adjustable wrench on the flats. It works better than any screw driver you will possibly find. Give it a try, I'm sure you have one of bits already ...Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.