1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 Step rib barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by whosyourdaddy, May 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whosyourdaddy

whosyourdaddy Member

I have a 30" full choke 1100 step rib barrel that the choke measures .710". Is this a standard choke size, or has it been opened up?

2. ovaljack

ovaljack Member

not if it is a full choke. mine measure .692" on .730" bore. you have a modified choke. Jack

3. 333t

333t Member

If the barrel is one of the older overbored ones (usually .745) it would be a full choke. What choke is indicated on the barrel? The overbored barrels are very desirable for trap. I would have it measured.

Phil

4. whosyourdaddy

whosyourdaddy Member

The barrel is stamped Full. I have heard of the large bore barrels, but didn't know what the diameter of the bore was on theses barrels. I will check the bore diameter. Thanks.

5. ovaljack

ovaljack Member

Thats very interesting about the large bore remington barrels. I own several 1100's and 870's and none measure larger than .731" bore. let us know what yours measures. Jack

6. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

To my knowledge, it is only the 11-87 trap barrels marked "TARGET" that were back-bored from the factory. JM

7. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

jm1079, there were other barrels made for 1100 Rems that were .745 bore. I had a plain barrel once that measured .750 with a .715 choke. I also know that some 1100 barrels measured .745 and had fixed chokes and some had choke tubes. The ones that had tubes measured .745 and tapered near the muzzle end to .727 before it came to the choke tube. That gave an .018 choke without a choke tube in the barrel. There are several variations of Remington 1100 and 1187 barrels

8. 333t

333t Member

If you can't get access to accurate measuring equipment you can compare your barrel to a standard bore and get a good idea if yours is overbored. Take a well used bore brush and rod and first run it down the standard bore. Then run it down the step rib barrel. If the step rib is overbored, you will feel a definate difference in the resistance on the brush, it will slide much easier. It won't be just a slight difference but a noticeable difference.

Also, examine the forcing cone ring from the chamber end on both barrels. If the step rib barrel is overbored, the dark shadow ring viewed from the chamber end will be much narrower than on the standard bore. Not exactly rocket science but it works.

Phil

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I found an 1100 step-rib trap barrel for my daughter's left-hand 1100. The bore measures 0.745. It has factory choke tubes.

10. whosyourdaddy

whosyourdaddy Member

A .729 gage pin was a pretty nice slip fit in the bore, so I'm gonna say this barrel is a .730 bore with a .710 choke. Thanks for the information. If any of you guys are interested in this barrel, PM me an offer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1100 step rib barrel overbored barrel