1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 Special Field ?'s

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Robb, Jul 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robb

Robb Member

What barrel length were they? Other than the english type stock and barrel length do all other parts interchange. Barrels were slug gun short but with vent ribs. Been looking for one to put standard 1100 stock on if it fits.

2. Robb

Robb Member

Richard, Thanks. I guess I'm looking to buy one.

3. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Remember that barrels for the Special Field models are not interchangeable with standard model receivers and vice versa.

The magazine tube is shorter and so too is the position of the gas cylinder which is set further back down the barrel.

4. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Magazine tubes are one area where Mossberg has it over Remington; the former being threaded into the receiver (and hand removeable) whereas the latter is brazed or soldered on.

5. Robb

Robb Member

Thanks Steve, That's the info I was looking for. I thought about building one but I see that isn't possible. I'll try to buy one and put a standard stock on it as I never cared for the straight stock.

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

there were 20 gauge special fields also- I own one

I think the 12 gauges at different times could be had with 21 - 23 - or 25 inch barrels

might be wrong

Gene

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The 870 Special Field had the barrel hanger moved back, and it will not accept standard barrels.<br>
    <br>
    The 1100 Special Field has a shorter forend, but the barrel hanger (properly called the gas chamber) is in the same location as a standard barrel. This is because the mag tube was shortened to be nearly flush with the barrel hanger.<br>
    <br>
    Ditto for the 1187 Sporting Clays models.<br>
    <br>
    The 1187 Upland with a 23" barrel and english stock had a normal length forend and magazine tube.

8. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Same length. I'm surprised. I remember that point being a bone of contention when the SFs first came out around 1983.

I don't own an SF but I have seen the early ones; perhaps they made a change along the way.

9. Robb

Robb Member

An 870 or 1100 SF would work for me. Thought it would make a nice truck gun. Like to have one with tubes if possible. If someone has a nice one for sale please let me know. What was the mag capacity?

10. Robb

Robb Member

Gary, I hear ya about the 870 but it probably won't get shot alot. Want a short gun to keep in truck for groundhogs around barns and whatever else I might want to kill. I used 1100's for years in trap and have plenty of parts left over but the pump has some merit if carried in a truck. Mag can be loaded with open bolt and not compress the spring like in an auto. I guess I'd buy whichever I can find or which is in the best shape.

Before someone starts yelling I am aware of the law. Thanks

11. Robb

Robb Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.