1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 Short Cycle with Rem STS 2-3/4 dr eq ONLY

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jim101, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Steve have you talked to the remington folks about this? I'm sure they would be very interested.

Jim

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Start with the gun what model is it? Full description of gun. Check out these STS make sure they are not the light target loads they did have some very light shooting loads STS RLSTS1285 @ 1100fps. I used these with my wife when she started shooting. They did not cycle her new browning gold very well. Also I found my 1100 would poorly cycle lighter loads found the problem being a dirty action spring and tube. I ended up with a new spring and follower. Also I have noticed there are different barrels I recently noticed 2 of my barrels have 2 ports and one has one. I can tell you the 1 hole barrel doesnt like lighter loads.

3. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Steve I hope you will post what ever info you get from remington.

Jim

4. THE POSTMAN

THE POSTMAN TS Member

Maclellan 1911, I believe if you check the 1100 barrel which has only one gas

port you will see that it is a 3" magnum bareel and thats why it doesnt like

the light target loads. If I'm wrong and sure I'll be corrected by someone.

Wilbur Poston

5. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I once had the same problem with a couple of cases of 2 3/4 dram AAs.

6. Frye

Frye TS Member

I have to agree with the QC. I bought 100 rounds of STS 2 3/4 1 1/8th 8 shots from Sportsmans (I believe) and I couldn't get them to cycle my 11-87 Premier Trap with the 2 gas ports. Some wouldn't even cycle far enough to reset the trigger. These were purchased about 6 months ago. I was cold as hell when I shot them so I attributed part of the problem to cold temps.
    I had no problem with 3 dram loads. Factory or Reloads all cycle fine. I think maybe Remington had a bad batch. I bought a Flat a month ago from a guy that was getting out of the shooting game of the very same load and all went off just fine in the same gun with no malfunctions.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

How about shooting a few rounds over a cronograph. That should give us the info necessary to solve the problem. HMB

8. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Ducks "The odds factory new ammo will make it to the store shelves with such poor QC that it will not cycle a standard, clean, well used 1100 are about that 1 in 100,000 (my guess based on factory new rounds I've put through an 1100)."

As I said, I had the same problem with a couple of cases of AAs some years ago, so it seems that some do make it to the shelves.

It's probably not a QC problem. Most likely, somebody decided for some reason that made sense to them to change the powder or charge, and never anticipated it would make a difference in how the shells performed in 1100s.

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I'd most likely suspect the shells. I've had some lots that seem to cycle poorly for some unknown reason. Maybe an odd lot of powder or a difference in primers. Who knows, but there is a pretty wide variation in the performance of some factory loads. I will chronograph a few on occasion and have compared different lots of the same anmmo. The SD and velocities can vary widely between lots. I have had some issues with ejection from an 1100 with some factory shells. Tried a different lot and things were different. I've also seen 2 3/4 Dram loads at 3 Dram velocities and vice versa.

I've even had some lots of retail canister grade powder that would give different results in functioning from lot to lot, given the same weight charges are thrown. (I ALWAYS Check them) I could understand that there may be more variation in the non-cannister grade powder that they use at the factory.

I'd venture a guess that Steve's 1100 is well maintained and functioning as the factory intended and maybe even a bit better. His reload isn't one that should give improper functioning, but it is in the neigborhood of what the factory load SHOULD be.

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Velocity may not tell the whole story either. You can have two loads at identical velocities and one will function well while the other won't. There needs to be ample pressure and volume when the wad passes the gas ports. Too little and it won't function well at all. Too much and the gun can take a beating. Chronographing the loads might be a good start, but I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

11. wolfee

wolfee TS Member

I believe he said he changed the rings in one of his first posts. I have had new shells do the same in my 390, but in my case it was because I hadn't cleaned it in a while.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

SteveL did tell us that he changed the rings, but it is possible that the one of the new rings was defective in some way. Another puzzle is his statement about "soft reports", suggesting a weak shell. But he continues with statements about how clean the barrel remains. Often when when we shoot a weak shell, there is a lot of residue in the barrel.

There is a problem with the gun or the shells. To eliminate the gun as a source of the problem, Steve could load some rather light 1 oz loads and see if they function. This should be a reasonable test of the gun.

If the problem is not the gun, then it must be the shells. Remington makes fine shells, but Remington is not perfect. Things happen. I would not judge the quality of Remington shells based on a few possible defective flats. The shells could be shot (not at doubles) or they could be traded to someone who shoots a single barrel. If the shells are defective, or even if you think the shells are defective, Remington will replace them, but this is a lot of trouble for just a few boxes of shells. The next flat you open may be just fine.

Pat Ireland

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I shot a few boxes of new 2 3/4 Dr STS shell with a friend a few days ago and we both thought they were exceptionally low recoiling shells. They were crushing the targets so the velocity must have been there. After we were done shooting, my friend went to swab out the barrel of his gun and the first solvent soaked patch came out of the gun looking like it never went through the tube. We were both shooting break open guns so there were no fuctioning issues.

It sounds like Steve knows how to make the 1100 run so I'm inclined to believe it is a change in propellants. If there is a secret new formula I would love to know what it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.