1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 shell latch

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Olrusty, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olrusty

Olrusty TS Member

Recently traded for an 1100 that outwardly looks very nice. For a used 1100. When I pulled the trigger group out , to install a release, one of the shell latches fell out on the bench. Can't remember for sure if it was the right or left side. It apears someone took it out for some reason. It went right back in and the gun seems to act normally while dry firing with a snap cap.Would this have been taken out just for a real good cleaning-I doubt it-- or is their some reason to remove one or both of the shell latches? Maybe to shoot trap, or anything that would only require one shot Singles,HC,or whatever.Any info would be appreciated. Thanks--Jack M

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It should not fall out of the gun. The part that holds the first shell in the magazine tube is staked into the receiver and the part that holds the second shell in the tube is held in place with a C clip. HMB

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Olrusty. The latch needs to be GLUED back in. It slides into place point first (toward the magazine) and at an angel to the recervr. Then once you figure that it is hooked you press it into position and 2 part devcon glue the rear 1/3rd. Then clamp it and let it dry. Obviously the slot and the latch need to be cleaned of oil and dirt and residues. You use the trigger pins to locate the exact front to back location.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you have doubts (and you will) you can call me an I can walk you thru it.

Jack 715-262-8556 days. Cell is 715-441-2384. I hav edone this several times and it hold better that staking it in.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Let r roll boys

5. Olrusty

Olrusty TS Member

OK hmb and MIA. Thanks for the info and for the pics MIA.I'm still curious. Wouldn't the gun work as it is with the latch being held in place by the trigger pin, and captivated in the channel machined into the side of the receiver. And, I still have to wonder why anyone would go to the trouble to grind the "collar ?" off that held the latch in place to begin with.Thanks for the gluing info MIA. I'll probably do that and may very well have to call you. I appreciate the offer.I'm going to print this whole thing out for furture ref.Jack M Oh Yeh MIA I have a stock on one of my 1100s that looks a lot like the one in the pic you sent. I've always wondered if it was some version of an Antone/sp stock.

6. JTEA

JTEA Member

I've had a few 11-87's since '87 and repaired a few things. During that time I had this catch break once or twice. I lined up the new one using the pin holes. Then I peened the metal to hold it. Remember, the pins really take the thrust of the pressure on it. A steel chisel with the end ground back works fine. Give it sharp shots using a metal hammer.

JT

7. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

I have a special tool that is used to re-stake the shell latch - you can borrow it if desired and if I can find it. The shell latch does not have to be 'permanently' installed in the gun for it to function. It does have to be IN the gun tho. Just a hassle to put it back together with it loose.

8. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Brownells has a tool for re-staking the shell latch. As noted however, as long as the trigger assembly is in place and the trigger pin in place, the latch will stay in place and operate properly. I've seen latches break loose on their own, and I've seen some have the tip break off and require replacement. The latch is frequently removed when the receiver is being re-blued, too. You don't take them out for cleaning however.

9. Olrusty

Olrusty TS Member

AND THANKS CUBANCIGAR AND JTEA and Marion.for all the good info. Now that I have JTEA and Marion's info I can see on MIA's pics where to peen it, towards the end,and I understand it better. Thanks to all of you. Jack M

10. Olrusty

Olrusty TS Member

AND thanks to TMW and Bob K and anyboby else ive missed All info is good and very helpful.-----Jack M

11. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

I glued my latch in with epoxy about 5 years ago and have shot the heck out of that gun. Removed the trigger many times. Gluing works. A very important point for all who remove the trigger...knock out the trigger pins towards the window in the side of the receiver. Same thing with re-inserting the pins...knock them towards the window. This will keep the latch from being knocked out.

Chris

12. Olrusty

Olrusty TS Member

Thanks Chris. Yours is also a good tip to know. Jack M

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.