1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 Shell ejection help needed.....

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Steve-CT, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Do you mean the shell deflector?

2. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

I just bought a new 1100 Classic Trap. If you can locate one you could look at where they weld it on.

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have an early 1100 trap with that post if you would like a picture give me your E mail. I will take a digital and send it to you. Mike

4. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

You can order the shell deflector from Remington. Trap barrels have a pre-drilled hole to accept it. They look like a little murshroom head or "broccoli floret" head with a tiny "stem". It's best to let a Remington gunsmith fit it in for you. Once seated and peened into place (the head gets lightly peened with a hammer to flatten it out, so it stays in the hole), it then must be lightly and gradually filed at an angle, so that the "side" of the stem that is facing inward to the receiver is getting filed away, can allow the fired hull to be "rolled" down from the stem as it is being kicked out of the ejection port. Too little filing can result in malfunctions for doubles. Too much filing, will result in the shell deflector being ineffective. It's a case of file and try, file and try - until it's just right.

Some recent generation Classic Traps I have seen and shot, have too much "deflector" exposed and induce jams for doubles. Some early 70s and late 60s guns have too little shell deflector - some were just a flat round "bump" that didn't deflect well enough to avoid pissing off the guy standing next to you for doubles, but deflected well enough to avoid hitting someone on post four if you're shooting from post one. (Shell ejection complaints were less rampant during the 1940s, 50s, 60s and 70s when most shooters were using pumps and autos and became more commonplace from the 80s to present day with more people shooting high end break open guns that on occasion, get a brass ding from a squadmate's undeflected hull)

In any event, call Remington at 1-800-243-9700 order the deflector, have a Remington authorized gunsmith put it in for you. If your barrel is not a bona-fire trap barrel - a hole will need to be drilled to accomodate the deflector.

I've installed deflectors myself once or twice, but I'm not a gunsmith and it's much easier to have one do it for you.

5. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I had one put on my field barrel and by the time I got it to the point it would never hang up, it was bombing the guy to my right again. Now I juist buy him off on doubles.

6. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

you may have filed it wrong. It has to be done at a certain angle facing the inside of the post, leaving the "side" of the post facing outward from the receiver slightly longer than the"side" facing inward of the receiver.

This is so that the hull will roll, clear and be influenced down, and in front upon ejection. The best that you can get with these would be hulls landing about 4 to 6 inches in front of the feet of the shooter to your right. Sometimes, they still will bounce off someone's toe, or ankle, or side of their lower pant leg, but a properly installed deflector will keep the hulls away from the arm level of the shooter next to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

why does shell hull peening receiver