1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 shell catcher

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hemmingsenm, Oct 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hemmingsenm

hemmingsenm TS Member

My charming wife bought me an 1100 classic trap as a retirement gift. Recently I grabbed it to shoot some sporting clays with some friends and and just put in a different choke forgetting about the shell catcher button on the barrel. I was very embarrassed when I could only shoot 1 shell because the second shell would jam because the first was caught in the shell catcher so the bolt could not close. For some reason I thought the first shell would be knocked out of the shell catcher as the bolt tried to close. My question has anyone just took their Dremel tool and ground off the knob? And how did it work? Excuse the dumb question but as you tell I am new to this. Thanks
    Mike

2. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

The button on the barrel is not a catcher but is a deflector. It is intended to knock the empty down rather than way out to the side. When shooting trap, an 1100 without the deflector button would throw the empty at the shooter on your right, a no no. If you don't shoot trap grind the button off.

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The knob is a shell deflector. I would STRONGLY advise that you do not remove it. There is something else going on. 1100's sometimes need a little cleaning and maintainance to function correctly. If it's new, have it looked at by who you bought it from. All the deflector does is knock the shell down so it doesn't hit the guy next to you OR damage his costly stock. If the action spring is weak, or the mag tube dirty, or the carrier bent, or a host of other things, it would cause it to jam. I'd start with a VERY thorough cleaning and a new action spring if you have more than a couple thousand rounds through it. Also clean the rings, replace the O ring, and clean the barrel hanger VERY well. If you are not familiar with the 1100, there are a LOT of smiths and shooters out there that are.

4. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Mike,

It sounds like your 1100 is virtually brand new?

The problem may very well be the shells...light powder loads will cause problems...especially one time use economy shells.

After a good cleaning shoot a round with STS or AA shells and see if the problem goes away.

5. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

Did you install the piston and o-ring correctly? I'm betting that's your problem.

6. hemmingsenm

hemmingsenm TS Member

Thanks guys Smok n Joe is correct the gun is new with only a couple hundred rounds through it. It has never ejected the shells it just catches them and I have to pick it out. I will try cleaning it and using different shells. I was using the bargain stuff from Wally world.I actually thought that was what was suppose to happen DUH.
    Mike

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Find somebody who knows about 1100s and have him take a look at the gun. HMB

8. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

If this is happening on every shot you may have installed the gas piston/ring incorrectly, lost or forgotten the O-ring seal? Sure sound like it to me.

Kip

9. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

It COULD be any one or all of the above. But I'll bet it's the shells...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.