1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 Reviews

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Craig12, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Craig12

Craig12 TS Member

Are there and reviews on the current 1100 Clasic Trap guns?
    Thanks
    Craig

2. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Go to shotgunreport.com and look up product reviews. Write-up is dated, but the 1100 hasn't changed during that time so the info is still good.

http://www.shotgunreport.com/Reviews/Remington/1100870Trap.html

They are first-rate trap and sporting clays guns. Best Regards, Ed

3. Craig12

Craig12 TS Member

Thanks. Thinking of buying a new one. $879 at Gamaliel's
    Thanks for your help

4. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

There's a guy in Fairfax VA that's getting ready to sell his 'like new' Classic trap. He has only shot skeet with it and he shoots a Browning O/U for trap. He is meticulous in caring for it. If interested, PM and I'll connect him with you.

5. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

The new ones sometimes get bad "press" but my experience has been good.

I have been shooting trap since 1970 and have bought new Remington 870's and/or 1100's in every decade since, and including the 1970's.

I bought my 1100 Classic Trap, new, in Dec. 2005, it is date coded Sept 2005.

I have shot 15,000+ rounds through it without problems. 15,000 is not a lot for a trap gun (I shoot other guns in additon to the 1100) but I have had several guns in the past 40 years that did mot make that round count without some issue.

My 1100CT is better finished than the 1976 870TB which I bought new in 1976,

I do not recall any failures to fire in the 1100CT.

I has nice wood, good metal finish and bluing, shoots 60/40, dead center (no "windage" deviation) with all three choke tubes.

I can be prone to migranes and I especially like shooting the 1100CT on days when I am suseptible to headaches; the reduced recoil sensation means the differnce between quiting early and enjoying the afternoon shooting.

I have fit the 1100CT with the old style two piece piston/seal and a Brichwood Casey shell catcher, it is other wise as it left Ilion NY and will remain that way since it works just fine for me, as is.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    They're good guns. The machining, internally, is not as smooth as the older guns. Tat has not prevented them from functioning properly. The finish is not as long lasting as the older guns. You should hope to use it that much. The barrel is a field rib with a conventional bore. It does the job. The stocks are usually made from decent wood, and the cut checkering is nicely done. They're a solid, competent, reliable gun, though because of the gas system all 1100s must be cleaned every 400 to 600 rounds, depending on quality of powder used.

There are also decent earlier 1100s, used, with some desirable features, like fixed full choke barrels, step rib barrels, backbored barrels, added on accessories like adjustable combs and buttplates, etc. You can often get a decent 1100 with extra bells and whistles for less than the price of a new one. There are also trap versions of the 1187 as well.

Nothing wrong with whatever way you go.

7. pgithens

pgithens Member

I had one I bought shortly after the Classic Trap came out and I shot it for several years to the tune of a few thousand rounds each year for both trap & sporting clays. The ONLY issue I ever had was when I first got it the operating handle would fly off. I had a Remington authorized gun smith put a heavier spring behind the detent ball and then it was fine. I sold the gun only because I no longer had the time or money for trapshooting but I wish I'd kept it for occasional use. It was a target smashing machine. I never had a cycling issue or any parts failures. It shot where I pointed and demolished targets. I cleaned it every 2000 rounds or so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.