1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 recoil spring removal and cleaning

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by School Teacher, Jun 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

When cleaning my 1100 and 11/87 trap guns, I have never removed or cleaned the recoil spring in the stock. I would like to know how to do that and If I need a special tool.

Is all you do is remove the action spring plug (part # 5) with a large slot screwdriver?

If I do this, how much tension is the spring under and how hard will it be to replace the action spring plug?

I recently replaced the link (part # 56) due to one of the tabs that guide the link during recoil breaking off. Upon reassembly and firing, the 11/87 cycles the action and re-cocks the trigger but there seems to be a slight hesitancy in the bolt moving forward. The link is installed correctly according to the illustration in the 1100 manual.

Since the last firing, I have thoroughly cleaned all of the 11/87 and especially inside the receiver. I use Butch's gun oil and Rem oil for lubrication.

The 11/87 was one of the original 11/87 Premier Trap models and has probably been shot over 25,000 rounds with minimal trouble. I have replaced the firing pin (#40), firing pin retractor spring (#42), several "O" rings and once the piston/piston seal assembly (#66 and #67). The new piston/piston seal assembly is a one piece unit.

I will have Remington look at it at the Grand if the problem remains.

Ed Ward

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It's either a large slotted nut or an 11/16" hex. Easy to remove. I'd strongly suggest replacing the spring, once you have it out. There were a bunch of threads about the nuts and tools. I use a brass brush and a "mop" on a cleaning rod to clean the tube.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Some people have trouble when using the one piece unit, try going back to the two piece seal and see if the hesitation goes away.

The main spring is easy to remove, but be careful, it is a big spring and it is compressed when in place. Compare its length with a new spring, if it is shorter then replace it. HMB

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

its not hard, It is under tension and will go FLING if not careful. watch your eyes. I installed sure cycle kits in both my 1100s noticable difference in cold weather for me

5. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

You'll need both a screw driver and a punch. What I do is depress the spring enough to pop out the pin holding the spring back. Then slowly let that spring come out. I forgot what mop is use, maybe 28ga. Makes a world of difference. Dave T.

6. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

the new springs are really cheap too. Keep one on hand as they are only a few bucks.

7. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Thanks guys for all of the helpful information. I'll put them to use this weekend and buy a couple of extra recoil springs and links from Remington at the grand.

I put 100 rounds through the 11/87 today and it worked perfectly. However, I still want to inspect and clean the spring.

The "Sure Cycle" spring looks promising.

Ed Ward

8. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

410 is the correct size...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1100 recoil spring
1187 action spring removal
how to change recoil spring in remington 1100 shotgun
how to remove the action spring on a remington 1100

remington 1100 action spring removal