1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 Receiver Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Model12, Mar 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Model12

Model12 Member

The pin or post that indexes the barrel has been lost from my 1100 receiver. Gun works fine without it. Does it need to be replaced? Who? How? How much? Thanks, Bob

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Never heard of that before, but if the locking lug doesn't seat in the notch due to barrel misalignment the gun won't fire.

That would be much better than firing without lockup. Especially if you had the magazine full.

HM

3. leftex

leftex Active Member

Several yeara ago I had the same thing happen with a left handed 20 ga. 1100. Sent it back to Remington and they replaced it with a new receiver. Notice I said several years ago. Might be different now.

Wayne

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If the alignment stud is missing it won't cause any safety problems. Remington says that the stud is only needed for initial alignment when inserting a barrel, and it serves no useful function after that.

Having said that, some gunsmiths differ in their opinion....

It is possible to have a misalignment between the extractor and its cutout in the barrel. Especially if the extractor has little clearance in its slot or is crowding one edge. This can cause broken extractors.

It's not really possible to check by eyeball the extractor clearance in its slot with the barrel installed and the bolt closed. I would suggest "painting" the extractor top and bottom with machinists layout dye (blue) and watching for wear. If any wear shows, I would open up the extractor slot a bit on that side with a file. You can try using a permanent marking pen, but oil or solvents will wash it off quickly. Machinists layout dye lasts longer.

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

That stud can be replaced by drilling and tapping the receiver and inserting an appropriately sized set screw or button head cap screw and grind to length.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>"That stud can be replaced by drilling and tapping the receiver and inserting an appropriately sized set screw or button head cap screw and grind to length."</i>

That's one solution. In fact, some fanatical slug gun and turkey hunters have drilled the receiver and barrel extension, then tapped the barrel extension, to lock the barrel in for maximum accuracy. Not needed for a trap gun (unless you're a fanatical card shooter maybe).

7. Steve Fischer

Steve Fischer Member

You can shoot without it, but it also keeps the barrel from twisting slightly in the receiver as that little stud sits in a channel cut in the side of the barrel.

The quick and easy fix is like suggested, drill and tap for a flat head screw and countersink it so it sits flush with the side of the receiver. It just looks better with a flat head screw.

8. Model12

Model12 Member

Thanks for the replys. I have no idea when it disappeared. It works fine and until I have a malfunction I'm not going to concern myself. Bob Gegerson

9. kirbythegunsmith

kirbythegunsmith Member

Several years back I did fix a couple of frame problems just like yours by use of a precision variant of the method described by Ian "Skeet Man" Smingler (has been a customer of mine before).

Remington uses a crimp-over riveting method to hold the stud, and if torn out (can be due to various issues that may need to be verified by gunsmith inspection) the metal remaining is insufficient for factory remediation.

I would recommend that you have the gun inspected to find the issue that caused the frame to lose the piece.
    An issue that causes that pin to be dislodged is enough to be able to cause other problems that might not be recognized by a shooter as a developing condition until the situation reaches a serious level.

Those guns I fixed had reasons that created the missing pin that were addressed along with the pin replacement.

Kirby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.