1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 R.H. ?Replace safety to be L.H. friendly?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by The Old Beater, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Old Beater

The Old Beater TS Member

I have a right handed 1100 field gun that I shoot left handed. Are there parts out there or some kind of procedure to be able to reverse the safety and make it L.H. friendly? I am looking for a quick fix so that I don't convince myself to go looking for a left handed gun. The gun cabinet is full...but I have heard good things about the Mossberg 930...Hmmm.
    Suggestions or ideas?
    Thanks for your advice and information in advance. I really enjoy reading the threads on this forum every day. It's like a virtual trip to the gun shop to listen to guys talking about what they love most: guns.
    Blaise - CA

2. RJ

RJ TS Member

O.B.!! Yes there is. I did the change out on an 870 many years ago. It had a large head on it and it was very easy to find when removing the safety to take a shot. It worked great. But I got away from shooting for many years and am back now but I can't seem to find this safety. I know there out there but not sure where. Do like I'm doing keep asking around at the different gun shops in your area. It was great! If I find it I'll shoot ya an E-Mail as to where I found it. I have three Remingtons that I want to do this replacement to. Being left handed is a B#%$h. Every thing is either $100.00 to $200.00 dollars more on the price of the gun wheather it be a Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun or Revolver. Even a bow costs more for lefties. (Rich.inAz. andnameonly)

3. leftex

leftex Active Member

For what it's worth I have a trigger assembly for a 1100 LT 20 that has a factory left hand safety. I bought it by mistake thinking it was for a left handed 20 ga. 1100. $60.00 shipped. Wayne

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Lawyers got to Uncle Mike and he no longer makes his....liability, etc, etc.

Get the one above before the lawyers get to them.

5. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Mike Poore - With autos from about every other manufacturer, that is the drill. Not with the Remingtons.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I recently got a conversion button from Midway for an 1100. Cost about $17 and was a breeze to install. I'll see if I can find the order #. Brian in Oregon clued me into the existance of that slick conversion piece, prior to that I had spent a lot of time trying to convert my own Remington trigger groups for LH operation. That requires redrilling the trigger guard and relocating the ball detent - pretty easy to garf up if you don't get the location and angle just right. Hold on let me look for that info....

Edit ---

Fortmann's Left Hand Safety Conversion, stock #463939, $14.99 in stock @ Midway USA.

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Can you just put a trigger group from a left-hand 1100 into a right-hand 1100 receiver?

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The short answer Tim is no the LH/RH trigger groups aren't a drop in swap. But even if they were it would be a pretty spendy solution.

9. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I bought a used 1187 trap gun at a gun show that was a collection of parts, stock, barrel, etc. It shot fine. I went to set the safety once when I was getting ready to remove the trigger to clean it. I never use the safety on the range. Something seemed strange and I realized that the safety was backwards. I removed the trigger and it was from a Left hand gun. The tab on the lifter was on the other side as well as the safety being different. I removed the safety completely from the trigger. Better to have none than to have one that you think is on when it is off. Trigger installs in the receiver without a problem and the gun loads the second shot fine if needed. Mark

10. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Williams made the old large head left hand saftey's.
    Some times you can find them on e-bay.

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

try this....a bit $$ but very good parts.

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=463939
    cheaper version but not large head

13. The Old Beater

The Old Beater TS Member

Thanks for all the information gentlemen. I just ordered a Fortmann's left hand conversion safety from Midway. I will tell everyone how it goes when I get it and install it.

Blaise - CA

14. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Boys, you made me think..So I borrowed a left handed 1100 from my son and put a 1100 release trigger from a right handed 1100 in without problem and it worked just fine. It's a schwab release but that shouldn't make any difference.

Big Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
can you reverse the safety on a model 1100
fortmans left hand safety
how to change safety on 1100 remington
left hand safety for remington 1100 tac 4

remington 1100 left hand safety

remington 1100 safety button
reversing safety on remington 1100
reversing the safety on remington 1100