1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 Question...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

I thought I'd take my somewhat aged 1100 apart for a good cleaning. Well, I got it all apart and now I can't get it back together. When I removed the trigger assembly, there was a loose piece of flat metal laying there and I have no clue where it goes. Does anyone know of a website that shows how to re-assemble a Remington 1100? I found lots of information on dis-assembly, but I already know how to do that! Kind of embarassed to take it to my local shop...Thanks.
    Bruce

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

It sounds like your feed latch popped out. It needs to be staked back into place. You can either send it to Remington and they'll do it (either for free or real reasonable) or a qualified smith can stake it back into place.

3. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

Try this website Bruce http://users.dls.net/~rdouglas/Rem1100Notes-Revised.doc

Or this one http://users.dls.net/~rdouglas/Rem_1100_Notes__Rev_with_Pix_of_Disassembly.pdf

Good luck, Rodbuster.

4. capvan

capvan Active Member

Tron...That's exactly what happened. I was able to identify the loose part from the exploded pictures I have. THANKS for the info. I hope the local shop here in NH can handle this repair...

Bruce

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You can assemble it without restaking, but next time the trigger is removed you will have the feed latch in your lap.

I wonder if you can super glue it in place?

HM

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

This is a common occurrance with 1100s. You can fix it yourself. What I advise is to glue the piece back in place. You will need some Q-Tips and alcohol to degrease the slot and the part which fell out. Two small clamps to hold it in place while the epoxy sets. Devcon two part epoxy.

It would make things easier if you had a 2nd 1100 to look at so you can see where the part goes and its proper orientation.

It is the rear third of the part that needs to be held in place. It can be lined up with one of the trigger pins. You only need a small amount of epoxy. Put a little in the slot and on the part. Place the part in the slot. Line up the holes and place the trigger pin in to keep it lined up. Clamp in place, gently until it is flush in the slot. Let it setup and cure over night. Clean up any excess epoxy with a shape knife or file and you can put the trigger assembly back in. HMB

7. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

One follow-up suggestion, put a piece of wax paper (NOT aluminum foil or plastic wrap!) on the jaws of the clamp. This is just in case a bit of epoxy should seep out past the piece and end up gluing the clamp to the receiver. The wax paper will not allow the epoxy to stick to the clamp.

8. capvan

capvan Active Member

Sure wish I had some pictures. I can't figure out where this part goes. Does it go on the trigger assembly I removed or on the inside of the housing? Sorry I'm so dense. Sorry I took the darn thing apart, but I figured a good cleaning every 30 years would be good...

Bruce

9. capvan

capvan Active Member

10. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Well, I just so happen to have an 11-96 (same basic gun) all apart here. The feed latch fits into a groove on the right side of the receiver. The trigger pin holes line up with the holes in the receiver and the tang at the front of the feed latch goes toward the muzzle and curves inward, away from the receiver.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_2283.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_2282.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

11. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Capvan, the piece (feed latch) lays along and inside of a slot in the receiver just as Tron indicates. I just went through exactly the same thing with an old 1100 I bought...and have had this corrected with a number of old 1100s in the past - it is a common problem. Be assured, most experienced gunsmiths (or 1100 shooters) can easily fix it. In my case, I took the receiver, feed latch, trigger group and pins to a local "old time" gunsmith who staked it back in place in less than 10 minutes..."how much do I owe you?"...Reply: "Oh, a couple of bucks". I gave him $5 and he was a happy camper. Gluing may work to get it reassembled, but a better, permanent fix is to have it staked back in place. Brownells actually sells a staking tool for gunsmiths or 1100 fans for this repair, so it is common. I don't think I would go to the expense and time to ship it back to Remington...too many gunsmiths and veteran 1100 shooters can fix it for you...check around your trap club or local gunsmiths. Best Regards, Ed

12. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

My Gander Mt. gunsmith had the proper tool when mine popped out last month.

13. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

This is a common problem with Remington 1100 and 870 shotguns. It is easy to fix yourself. Put the feed latch back in place. Put the trigger group pin through it to keep it in the proper location. Use two small c clamps to pull it down into place in the groove. (Pad the outside of the reciever to keep from scratching it with the c clamps.)With it held down flat, stake it in place using a pin punch, 3/8" diameter works the best. The pin punch needs to have a sharp 90 degree edge on it. You need to roll over just enough metal on the reciever to hold the feed latch in place, it does not take much. I usually stake it in about three places. You can see where the origional stakes are located and can use the same spots to place yours. Bob

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Get the staking tool and keep it handy. Mine have been used quite a few times and have paid for themselves many times over. I have two. One is actually an offset punch and is tapped with a hammer to peen over 1/8 inch or so along the edge at each loctaion. The other one is a screw type that will peen over a small round intentation when the clamp is tightened. In all cases, protect the receiver from scratches. To locate the part, use one of the trigger pins to keep it in place, front to back, and a small parallel clamp to hold the part in the groove. You will see there are about six small bevels on the part. Three on each edge. These are the locations where you should peen over the material. I stake it at all six locations and they seem to stay put. DON'T rush this! Brownell's sells the manual punch and I believe that MidwayUSA sells both, or did at one time. Midway will probably be less expensive than Brownell's. I paid somewhere around $30 for each one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.