1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 problems...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by droptine, Oct 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. droptine

droptine TS Member

Just started shooting my 1100 again. It is clean as I can get it and now about every other time the cocking lever does not move forward enough after closing. I can manually push it forward with my finger...then it will fire. The other thing is if you want to pull it back to eject a live shell it seems to have a catch in it. You can eject the live shell, but only with a fair amount of force.
    I have never had this problem. Is something internal bent? Anyway, just hoping some 1100 vet could help me out.
    thanks, Eric

2. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Really CLEAN the chamber...use 0000 steel wool to scrub/polish it. Also, make sure your reload empties are re-sized down...especially if you are using steel based Gun Clubs or other steel head hulls. It may also be time to replace your spring in the tube located in the stock. Best Regards, Ed

3. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

make sure that the spring inside the action tube in the stock is clean and lubricated and that the piston is steel. They had a bunch of aluminum ones that would stick. Mostly on the older guns.

4. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

Eric take the trigger out and check the Tee fork that goes from the bolt to the recoil spring in the stock, it sounds like you put it in up side down the cruved side goes to the top of the reciver if it is not, turn it around and you will good to go.

5. droptine

droptine TS Member

I just put a new Hasting barrel on it. I did not think that was the problem, but that is when it started. Could the new chamber be too tight? I don't shoot steel based shells, in fact it would not feed brand new AA's this weekend. It is an older gun. I bought it new in 1980.I It has not had 1000 rounds through it.

thanks, Eric

6. droptine

droptine TS Member

Fork is in right

thanks Eric

7. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

BreakFree CLP

8. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

If it is the Hastings High Rib Barrel which is what I have and where I had the same problem, then it is definitely the chamber. I used a Brownells barrel hone attached to a drill and honing oil to polish the chamber, and never had any problems since then. jm

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Pat brings up a good point. Hastings barrels were originally designed for the early 1100 bolt, which has a narrow extractor. The 1187 uses a wider extractor. Late model 1100s actually have the 1187 bolt. Make sure the extractor enters the extractor slot in the Hastings barrel with an even amount of clearance on both sides. Carefully file the slot to open it up, if need be.

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Check the ring fit in the barrel hanger. If they are too tight, it will do just as you described. Action spring might be weak and in need of replacement. Could be a tight chamber too. The list goes on........

11. droptine

droptine TS Member

It is the High rib Hastings trap barrel. One thing I just noticed is that if you slide on the Hasting's barrel you can actually wiggle it a few degrees and if you slide on the factory Remington barrel it will not move or wiggle. The Hasting's barrel never actually tightens until the forearm is on and the end cap tightened. Just doesn't seem right to me. Do other high rib Hasting's barrels allow that wiggle or is mine not quite machined right?

thanks, Eric

12. Squeal

Squeal Member

My hasting barrel wiggles too until tightened with the fore arm.

I had to mill out the extractor slot in the barrel also.

The front bead on my hastings barrel looks off center, is yours?

13. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

bought a hastings barrel for my skeet gun back in the 90's because it had screw in chokes. The rib didn't line up with the grooved slot on top of the reciever and I took it back. The groove on the side that locates the barrel in the reciever was off. Maybe they cut the grove larger now to allow it to "line up" with various different recievers.

14. droptine

droptine TS Member

Squeal,
    My bead is centered but I had to Loctite it as it wanted to fall off after about 25 rounds. Any problems with the way yours cycles?

15. Squeal

Squeal Member

I had to red lock-tight my front bead in also, blue wouldn't hold it.

I didn’t have any cycling problems once I got the extractor thing figured out. When I shoot doubles I make sure it is really clean, and I use 1oz 1150 fps loads for the first shoot. Make sure you’re not over oiling it. I hose it down with Rem oil then blow it all off with an air compressor. They only time I had cycling problems I was leaving to much oil on. Another thing, try a new extractor; mine got screwed up with the "too-narrow" slot in the Hastings barrel before I figured it out. It didn’t look bent, but that was the final thing before mine started working reliably.

Once in a while I will get a new estate shell that fits tight in the chamber that wont cycle and screws up the second shoot, but it is not the guns fault.

Mine is a 1100 competition with about 10,000 rounds through it. I am about due to change the springs.

Overall I am pretty happy with it, wish I could get extended-ported chokes for it but oh well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.