1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 Problem...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Jul 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

I've got a 40 year old Remington 1100 that I shoot on a regular basis. Tonight at trap shooting I had the first failure to fire I've ever had. The trigger wouldn't move and it felt like the safety was on (it wasn't). I cycled the action a couple of times, wiggled the safety and it finally fired. This happened again on my next shot. After the squad was finished, I cycled the action and it seemed to be fine. Should I just ignore this and hope it was a one-time fluke? What might be the cause? Should I take it in to a repair facility? The only maintenance that has ever been done was an action spring replacement a couple of months ago. I'm thinking that since the problem is intermittent, the repair folks might have a hard time determining what the problem is. Any ideas, suggestions or comments more than welcome...
    Thanks

Bruce
    KB1IIX@ARRL.net

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

In the old days it was common practice to remove the safety to avoid the problem you are having. HMB

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Pull trigger ass'y. out & look for shot pellets in wrong place?

4. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

Pull out the trigger assembly, soak it overnight in diesel fuel, spray dry with compressed air and install. Put another hundred rounds thru it and see what happens. If the problem persists, take it to a gunsmith.

Walker

You can download the service manual for the 1100 at the above link. I've limited the downloads to just ten, so use them wisely.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Look for some foreign material in the trigger. A piece of shot, used primer, or even a part of the forend support that might have broken off. A thorough cleaning and inspection might help.

6. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Primer is what I'd be looking for

7. Shoot-at-em

Shoot-at-em TS Member

I too think that its a piece of shot or dirt of some kind. If that's not it, I'd borrow someone else's trigger and compare the two. You may see a problem. Maybe even put their trigger in your gun and test fire a few rounds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.