1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Olrusty, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olrusty

Olrusty TS Member

CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME A LITTLE INFO ON AN 1100 THAT WILL NOT LOCK BACK IN THE OPEN POSITION AFTER BEING FIRED. (sorry about the caps) The gun was originally a regular field version, but someone changed the barrel to a Rem Target contour.I changed the stock and trigger group. so far I have cleaned and enlarged the gas ports, replaced the piston and seal twice, once with a new old type two piece

2. Olrusty

Olrusty TS Member

CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME A LITTLE INFO ON AN 1100 THAT WILL NOT LOCK BACK IN THE OPEN POSITION AFTER BEING FIRED. (sorry about the caps) The gun was originally a regular field version, but someone changed the barrel to a Rem Target contour.I changed the stock and trigger group. So far I have cleaned and enlarged the gas ports, replaced the piston and seal twice, once with a New old type two piece and once with the new one piece SS. The gun works fine other than not staying open after firing. Bolt and carrier stay open ok when pulled back with lever. Anybody tell me what exactly holds the carrier open? Do I have something wore-out, broke off or bent to where it doesn't engage the bolt/carrier assembly. I,ve had the gun torn down a couple times but havent found the problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks--Olrusty--Jack M.

3. Olrusty

Olrusty TS Member

Sorry about the double mailing (sending) I don't know how that happened. Olrusty

4. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Are you using reloads or factory ammo? If reloads, then try factory ammo. JM

5. Olrusty

Olrusty TS Member

Jim--Have tryed both-no different. Thanks Olrusty

6. overbored

overbored Member

Does it lock back when you pull it back by hand? If it does then it is not opening far enough when you shoot it, you will need to regulate the gas pressure. You may need a carrier dog. Some times the pin backs out and won't let it engage all the way. If that is not it you may have to bend the carrier down a little tiny bit ( this will change the angle that it sits at and help it to lock.)

Hope this helps

Hugh

7. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

Sounds like you have done all the normal things I would have done, in particular changing out the piston, piston ring and O ring. You did not mention if it works for a while when you change out the gas parts or if it make no difference at all. Any chance that someone scrubbed the magazine tube with steel wool or something else that might have removed some of the metal over time? Have you tried another barrel? I am assuming you were not the original owner.

8. Olrusty

Olrusty TS Member

overbored--Thanks for the info--will check these things in the morning. You may have just hit on the poblem.
    benniesdad--thanks for your input. No, I,m not the orig owner. Haven tried another barrel. This one shoots so good for me I 'd like to keep using it. Olrusty

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Also make sure the gaps in the gas rings are not lined up. That will leak gas.

10. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

Try double O rings, if that helps, it will kind of tell you where the problem lies,

11. Olrusty

Olrusty TS Member

OK Brian and slipping. Brian-I have checked this a couple times, thanks. I haven't tried the double O ring thing,but I will, thanks Slipping. Jack M

12. tom pond

tom pond TS Member

Use a soft brass brush and clean out the chamber, my shells sometimes stick in there just enuff that the pressures wont kick it back quite enough. A product called "moly cote" avialable at auto parts store is an o ring lubricate that slightly swells rubber orings. A thin film on the oring helps seal the piston area better than a new o ring. Make sure you clean the piston area after each use after you start using this product (every 100 rounds) It tends to collect a little more residue. Works good on my wore out duck gun.

13. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Olrusty - have you checked it out per Ovebored's suggestion. If not, do so.

14. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Give it a try with the original trigger group. I'm not a fan of enlarging the gas ports.

15. TomB

TomB Member

Olrusty....I'd bet your problem is in the bolt return spring tube...being rusty or gummed up with weeds and crud. Remove the stock, take out the spring, and clean out and oil the tube and spring. Tom B

16. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

olrusty - Have you tried what overbored suggested?

17. DODGEMAN

DODGEMAN Member

Have you tried magnum shells in it, some of those older field grade guns that were made for 3" magnum didnt like to cycle with lighter loads. Just a thought. Sounds like you have tried everything else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.