1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 or Super X 1 ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by riflegunbuilder, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

I am considering adding a new(used) shotgun to the stable. I get request for people to try one of the shotgun sports fairly often. I shoot two MX2000 a skeet gun and a Sporting Clays gun. I am left handed and both of my stocks are made for me. The only thing I have to start people with are a 12 and 20 plain barreled Model 50s. The other purpose of this gun would be as a back up for me for Skeet or Sporting.

The guns I am considering are:
    1100 12 gauge, the cheapest way to go I know.

1100 20 gauge standard frame, less recoil for new shooter, and would let me shoot 12 and 20 Skeet if I had to.

Super X-1, at least an autoloader with a little class. The downside of course is the cost.

Which of the 12 gauges 1100 or Super X will handle light 1 oz the loads the best? Which has the less recoil? Your ideas?

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

1100 (or 11-87) and don't look back.

Curt

3. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I agree with above poster on 1100. I bought one used in 1977 for $200 and am still using it. I shoot 7/8 ounce loads pushed by 16.4 grains of 700X and it never fails to cycle. I bet you can pick up a used 1100 for $350 or $400 that has not been used a lot.

4. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

Would you look for a 20 gauge 1100?

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I'm not much of an autoloader person, lord knows I've tried enough different models, but I'd look into a 391 parallel w/28" barrel and a Super X2 with a 28" barrel. Both of these guns are cast and pitch adjustable.

A Super X2 is a little more price friendly and doesn't seem to suffer from the same problems as a Browning Gold. INV+ choke tubes are a dime a dozen and the barrel isn't ported.

The 391 Parallel can be had in both standard length and reduced length of pull. There is a strong aftermarket for the Beretta's so you can easily customize, if necessary, to suite your needs. As bullet proof of an autoloader as you'll find.

Nothing wrong with the two you mentioned, but I've been there and done that.

ec90t

6. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

As the owner of both, 1100 and SX 1, I 'd go for SX 1 just because of how it holds its value, and has a little bit more glamour. FWIW. JM

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

1100 or 1187. Stay away from the full frame 20, no parts for it. If you handload, i'd go for the 12ga 1100 or 1187, and load light loads if need be (the shells can be loaded down to match the recoil of a 20ga target load), if you don't hand load, go for the 20ga.

8. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Definitely buy the 1100.....leave the Super X-1s alone (I want to buy them ALL!)

9. Hollywood Marine

Hollywood Marine TS Member

My Super x 1 handles 7/8 oz loads just fine. It has to, that's all I shoot.
    Doug

10. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

I shoot a Monte Carlo on my MX2000 Sporting gun, shoots 55/45-60/40. How high do the Trap grade SX1 guns with M/C shoot? What would be a good price range on these guns, not looking for a super nice gun just a good shooter price?

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I have had 4 Sup X1's. 2 had monte carlo wood and 30" trap barrels. They both shot 60/40 @ 30 yards with a figure 8 on the beads for me. My trap gun has a Berlet add on rib and custom stock to make it shoot 90/10. The trap guns make excellant sporting guns if you add choke tubes. I can email you pics of mine if you want to see how both guns are set up. My Sporting gun has a 28" barrel with colonial chokes. The SX'1s are heavier than the 1100.

12. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I will be shooting two tournaments this weekend with an 11-87. I will let you know if I have any problems. I don't anticipate any. I didn't have any in the last tournaments. Not bad for a definitely not competition grade gun. So far it has worked through countless rounds of skeet, trap and sporting clays for a few years now. All that from a 500 dollar gun. I had it fixed once in the shop in all that time. In and out in one day.

13. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

go with the 1100. its a good gun and alot easier to find replacements parts for it

14. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I shot two 100 bird sporting clays tournaments this weekend with my 11-87. As I expected, not one problem. Zero failures to cycle. I will be shooting 2 more tournaments this weekend. I don't expect any problems there either. All I do between shoots is take off the forearm, put on a little Remoil or Breakfree, then wipe it off. It takes 30 seconds. Not exactly a pain in the butt. When I get home I clean the inside of the barrel and oil the outside of the barrel and receiver. I will shoot my 11-87 20 gauge at trap and skeet on Wednesday. I won't have any problems.

15. den1100

den1100 Member

Listen to these guys on here, some of them are really old and know what they're talking about. I'm not really old, I just can't sit still. If you can find a decent 1100 Trap on here, one sold today, grab it. If not, find an old 1100 field model and tweek it up a bit. Take it apart and get to know it. Like, right apart. There's a great link on the net with pics of EVERY part taken off of an 1100. Put a 30" mod trap barrel on it. Find a Timney pull trigger on here, and throw that in. It's adjustable. Feels good right? Can't find one, or don't want to spend $250? No prob. Take the trigger to your gunsmith and tell him, 3 pounds of pull and NO creep. Might cost you $75. Shorten up the stock grip a lil' bit(maybe buy an old one for $20 bucks to start on.) There's 2 points of checkering on each side of the stock at the grip. Use a coping saw, with a file or sanding wheel to create the same profile that already fits into the receiver. On the port side you want to see a 1/16 gap between the point on the top, and an 1/8 on the bottom one. On the starboard side, you want the top point touching, and the bottom point having a 3/16 gap. What this does is it kicks your barrel up and over to the right, so when you shoulder it, your looking right down the barrel, and are seeing a little real estate between the center bead and the front bead. And boy, does it fit now. Really adventurous and want the best fitting, softest 12 you've ever shot? Shorten the stock on an angle (our shoulders are angled back slightly, right?)that shows the top of the stock longer than the bottom, then throw a Super Cell on it. Clean the mag tube and action bars with 96 and then some 1500 grit paper. Wipe them dry. Keep the piston and seal smooth and clean with 96/1500. Change the O ring and keep a spare O ring in your bag. Clean the action spring once. In an older field gun, they can get over looked. Keep the pickle fork happy. Don't cut your finger inside, the reciever guts becomes sharp over time. Put half a flat of shells through it on Wednesday nights, and a flat through it on the weekend for a few monthes. That gun, if tuned once properly will cycle shells as fast as you can pull the trigger. Remember you can see it all happening above your barrel now. Just touch the bottom of your targets with the top of the barrel and torch 'em. By June all the guys on this sight couldn't pull that old 1100 out of your hands. Any questions, don't hesitate. cheers, Deni.

16. den1100

den1100 Member

And for you guys who thinks he needs to play the "What choke should I put in for this station, Ray?" game, well, maybe he should grab a sporting clays barrel. Once you get to know your mod barrel, you'll never change it.

17. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Since 1100 target barrels are designed to shoot lighter loads I suppose they could go longer between cleanings. I liked the choice of 3 inch shells when I bought my 11-87 but don't hardly ever use them. I have shot several back to back 100 bird tournaments before without any problems. I shoot mine dry. I put Remoil on then wipe it off. In a 200 bird tournament the action can get a little slow on the last station or two. You can always end it with a quick spray of Breakfree on the magazine tube. If you don't have the 20 seconds to spray and wipe it off between tournaments you could do that if you had to on the last station. That would take about 10 seconds. I would gladly take an 1100 sporting clays or skeet gun. I traded a Browning Citori plus some money for the 11-87 which became available through a friend. No regrets. I have almost worn the gun out through several hunting seasons and thousands of round of target shooting but it keeps on going.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.