1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 or 1187?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mrrem3200, Aug 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrrem3200

mrrem3200 Member

I'm looking for a 20 gauge auto for sporting clays, I have an 1100 12 gauge that I really like but I'd like your thoughts on which one is better. Thanks.

2. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I have two 11-87's that I shoot trap, skeet and sporting clays with. I also use both of them for hunting, although in the last few seasons I have used my 20 gauge for all hunting. I bought the 11-87's because they were cheap and I wanted the 3 inch capability in both gauges. I like both my guns and have had no problem target shooting with them but if I was to buy a 20 gauge just for sporting clays I would probably buy the 1100 sporting clays model. It is a beautiful gun.

3. hoofty43

hoofty43 TS Member

I am thinking about buying a new Remington competiton sporter auto. I was going to up grade from a Rem 1100 trap. Even though the competition model has a adjustable comb, it also has quite a bit of drop at the heel of the stock, unlike most trap guns whose combs are mostly straight. I like the way the comp is built but I don't want to worry about correct eye POI with the pitched comb.
    I know it is possable to shoot trap with the Rem Comp. but I don't understand why sporting stocks are pitched,let alone have a adjustable comb. Maybe I should just stick with buying a new 1100 trap. What can you tell me so I understand the differance and what are your thoughts on this?

4. hoofty43

hoofty43 TS Member

sorry I put this thread under this subject. I wanted to start new thread and messed up Hoofty43

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I own a 12 ga 1100 trap that I've owned since 1972. I have 4 barrels for it and have fired countless rounds and never a failure. I have a 20ga 1100 that has had thousands of round through it with no failures so my vote ! the 1100

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    For sporting clays, get the 1100. It's a bit softer shooting than the 1187 20ga. This is because the 1100 action sleeve is heavier than the 1187 action sleeve, which has been skeletonized. The softest way to go is to find an old LT-20 Magnum, and install a 26" or 28" blued barrel. It has the heaviest action sleeve, and is very soft shooting. Even so, I'm shooting an 1187 20ga Premier.<br>
    <br>
    (The above applies to the 20 ga. It is my opinion that the 1187 in 12ga is slightly softer than the 1100 12ga.)

7. rrose

rrose TS Member

Hoofty
    I have heard that the adj comb on the competition sporter can be raised more in the back than the front to provide a parallel comb that would be good for trap shooting. I had one and it is the softest shooting 1100 that I have ever seen. I do really like that most of the innards are coating with nickle teflon. I would think that would help the parts to last longer, not than an 1100 needs help to last longer than they normally do. I also like the look of the finish of the competition but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like the competition a lot and that would be my choice.
    good luck
    randy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.