1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 or 1187?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slide action, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

OK here is a question. I have decided to get another Renington auto. I shot 1100s for several years. In fact I started out with one many moons ago. I am considering an 1187. I have shot the 1187,but, know little about them other than the removable ring that is not on the 1100 and the reciever is not engraved. So how much difference is there? Does the 1187 have the overbore or the standard .727 barrel? Any thoughts?

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I find the 1187 to feel heavier and swing slower than similar 1100 models. Other than that they are very similar. If you are buying a new gun you will find the 1187 to be the lower cost better availability gun of the two. I may be wrong but I don't think the 1100 is a standard production model in 12 gauge anymore, but there are tons of slightly used guns sell for very reasonable prices.

Both are good choices and I would pick the one that just feels right to you.

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

My wife's 11-87 has an engraved receiver

I really can't tell much difference between hers and my 1100's

4. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

I have both for hunting and enjoy shooting both. That being said I just bought an 1187 this year for duck hunting and really like the gun. It was perfect for what I wanted. I also use my 1100 to hunt pheasant and it is great for bird hunting. Either one will be a good choice. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Hoosier

5. schwabby

schwabby Member

What wolfram said. If you want a duck and goose gun go with the 1187. For upland the 1100 is a better choice. The 1187 feels a lot heavier.

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I can't speak towards the new manufacture 1100 and 11/87 models. That said, I have an 1100 Trap TB 30" step rib fixed full circa 1980 and an 11/87 Premier Trap 30" step rib with rem chokes purchased in 1987.

Both of these guns have trap configuration stocks with the 11/87 having a monte carlo stock and the 1100 having a straight stock. The 11/87 is over bored while the 1100 has a standard bore. They both fit me well and I have not had to modify either gun in any way.

The 1100 was bought new and the 11/87 almost new from a friend who wanted to shoot very heavy loads. Both are excellent mechanically and are very easy to clean and maintain. The 11/87 has a stainless steel magazine tube, larger ejector, and larger gas ports in the stock. Both have very nice wood and deep, well polished bluing.

Over the years, I have had to replace a few firing pins and firing pin springs and the "link" between the bolt and the recoil spring in the stock.

The 1100 shoots anything between a 1150 fps 1 oz. load and a 1330 fps 1 1/4 oz load with no adjustment and little or low recoil.

The 11/87, which is not pressure compensated and is not intended for heavy loads, shoots anything between a 1150 fps 1 oz. load and a 1220 fps 1 1/4 oz load with no adjustment and little or low recoil.

Each gun has its own character with the 1100 feeling lighter in front and swinging a little faster.

The 11/87 with the Trap Super Full tube installed (55 points of constriction) really smokes targets even from the 27 yard line and further back (games).

You probably already know this but, IMO, the older 1100 and 11/87 trap grades are superior to the new offerings.

Ed Ward

7. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

Most trap shooters have one or the other. Either will work. Try and compare both with the same intended load. Pick one and have fun.

8. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

The 11-87 trap barrels that are marked "Target" are overbored and slightly heavier than 1100 trap barrels. There is also a variant of the 11-87 which uses a light contour barrel that will take 2 3/4in and 3in shells. It has the gas compensating gizmo on the barrel ring. It is also much lighter than standard barrels. FWIW. JM

9. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replys! Sounds like they are similar enough not to make a lot of difference!

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    There is no weight difference for comparably optioned 1100s and 1187s in 12ga.

In fact, only the 1100 Magnum weighs more, and not by much. This is due to the heavier action sleeve. The 1187 uses the same action sleeve as the non-magnum 1100.

Other than the checkering, the buttstocks are the same.

The forends are externally similar, especially the cut checkered models. Internally the 1187 has extra clearance for the pressure relief ports.

The receivers are the same, other than the name stamped on them.

The mag tubes differ only in material and location of the o-ring groove, plus the barrel retention system. 1187s use a stainless steel mag tube, the 1100 uses blued carbon steel. The 1187 mag tube is more suitable for wet environments. The carbon steel mag tube, from user feedback, has the potential to last longer because it is slightly more resilient than stainless steel, so it is less apt to crack at the solder joint. You'd have to fire a massive volume of shells to reach that point, though, if ever. Also note that late model 1100 mag tubes, even though they are still carbon steel, have the forend retention system of the 1187.

As for barrels, the basic barrel tang and the barrel itself are the same. A standard 1100 barrel is the same as a standard 1187 barrel, and weighs the same. A light contour barrel is the same for an 1100 and 1187, and weighs the same. ditto for step rib trap barrels.

There are differences, of course.

1187 field barrels have 3" chambers. Only magnum 1100 barrels do. 1187 target barrels have 2-3/4" chambers just like 1100 target barrels. There is very little weight difference between the chambers.

The 1187 gas chamber (erroneously but commonly called the barrel hanger) is machined for a wrap around flat spring for the gas compensation ports. It weighs slightly less than the 1100, but it's insignificant enough no one can tell the difference. The target forends are very similar, differing only slightly to mate with their respective forends.

The other difference is with the extractor slot. The 1100 bolt uses a thinner extractor than the 1187, so the slot in the end of the barrel is narrower. However, late model 1100s use the 1187 bolt, so they, too, have the wider slot. If an early 1100 barrel is put on a late 1100 action, it is quite likely the slot will have to be filed wider.

for all practical purposes, the late model 1100 Classic Trap is actually an 1187 action with an 1100 mag tube and gas system. It's a hybrid.

As for any weight differences, there are none when you are comparing apples to apples.

Felt recoil. This is quite debatable. In my opinion the 1187 12ga recoils SLIGHTLY less than a 2-3/4" 1100 12ga. However, an 1100 trap gun with a MAGNUM action sleeve, or an 1100 MAGNUM action with an 1100 trap barrel, recoils less than either of the above.

For 20ga, the 1187 has slightly sharper recoil than the 2-3/4" 1100 LT-20, because the 1187 20ga action sleeve is skeletonized much lighter than the 1100 LT-20 action sleeve. And like the 12ga, the LT-20 Magnum with a 2-3/4" barrel recoils less than either, due to the heavier action sleeve.

If I were choosing between an 1187 and 1100 trap gun, I would base my choice on the features and not the model type. If one had the barrel and/or the stocks I wanted, or maybe aftermarket stock hardware, I'd consider those points more important than model type.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap step rib removable int slider 30